THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Newbie, my first 3500HD  (Read 1596 times)

Organic Log Farmer

• Single Axle Driver
  • "You're making me VERY angry..."
Newbie, my first 3500HD
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:42:29 AM »
 ;D After months of searching I pulled the trigger on a working '95 6.5TD, 5 speed manual, short wheelbase, flatbed, with 193,000 miles.  We drove 700 miles to rural Minneapolis in a day and made the return trip over 2 days.  Ugh...worn out steering gearbox and she ran best at about 60 mph.  The former owner grew frustrated with repairs and left the exhaust wide open after the catalytic converter which I think overheats the transmission making for nearly impossible shifting when it's hot, cold shifts are OK.  All of the deficiencies made for a WILD ride through the Chicagoland area, we feel lucky to have survived and in retrospect we should have taken the longer route via Michigan's Upper Peninsula.  When we hit Michigan on I-94 I guess my wife hadn't heard that I wanted to visit the first weigh station so our Secretary of State can title and register the truck, she called me asking "You chose to pull in there ?"  Sooo, I'd been kissing my beautiful bride here and there when we took breaks and had no idea I had pink glossy lips until I got into some good light at dinner - I understood immediately why that Motor Carrier Officer wanted NOTHING to do with me !  Lucky me, curb weight empty came in at 7440 below an 8000 lb. requirement for more tax.  Much to do, I'll check myself in the mirror BEFORE any more interactions with suppliers and such.  I'm happy to be here and I have to thank you guys already for all of the help you've already given me with information gleaned from your posts.
Born a Boomer.
Still Experiencing Childhood, Perhaps Entering Adolescence.
Still Learning...
Chronologically An Adult, The Jury Is
Still Out...

Raymo

• Global Moderator
  • 3500HD Driver
Re: Newbie, my first 3500HD
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:41:36 AM »
Welcome, neighbor!

We're about 10 miles apart, if you spend any time south of burtch road, you've probably seen my HD.
'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
Welcome!! If you haven't already, don't forget to check that harmonic balancer for wobble. I see a lot of 6.5 Chevys on Craigslist for sale because of the ol' broken crank problem. Would hate to hear that happen to ya
1999 chevy HD 4x4 135.5" 6.5 nv4500 bw4470 Dana 70 HP 10 lug front

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

Organic Log Farmer

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:05:23 PM »
Thanks Raymo, I'll look for you.  I run 100 miles in and out of the city weekly typically via Wadhams and North Street to avoid the hubbub in Port Huron and Fort Gratiot.  I'm looking forward to making those trips in the 3500HD, especially with the drivers and driving that are out there now.  I just hold steady at about 2000 RPM in the right lane and let the world pass me by !  I'll feel good with that Omaha Standard Badger backing me on that nice beefy frame.

RPF207 that's a good call, thanks.  I've got a '98 K2500 6.5TD with 250,000 miles and I had a split harmonic balancer, so far so good after replacing it with a Fluidamper, dang they're expensive.
Born a Boomer.
Still Learning...
Still Out...

Organic Log Farmer

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 04:56:19 PM »
Luck of the Irish, my clutch gave up its last shift Thursday in front of the barn at the door to my shop, one slow push with the tractor and I got to wrenching.  I expected some of this, dang I hate cleaning up where someone else left off.  The inspection/service plug for the clutch on the manual transmission bellhousing has been gone for some time making a nice environment for oil and dirt to mix and congeal, I'm sure this decreased the life of the clutch.  I fished a worn out bronze bushing out of the housing once I removed the clutch, I sure hope it's from the clutch.  In the big picture minimally I'd guess I'm looking at a re-ring on the engine and a transmission rebuild, the (rod) knock in the engine has me thinking about taking the engine from my '98 K2500 and then looking to transplant a Duramax into the pickup.  Plenty of time before spring to get it done.  How lucky am I to buy a truck 800 miles away and get it home to the shop before breaking down ?  ;D
Born a Boomer.
Still Learning...
Still Out...

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM