www.3500HD.com
  • December 14, 2017, 09:45:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Author Topic: Crew cab vin?  (Read 502 times)

1999HD

• Single Axle Driver
Crew cab vin?
« on: January 28, 2017, 09:58:10 AM »

new member, first post!! I bought a '99 HD for parts and eventual project. Right now it has the longer wheelbase, want to shorten it close to a standard 8' bed, and put a flatbed on it. I want to stretch the frame in the middle and put a crew cab on it. In my area, I haven't see one crew cab HD. Local yard where I bought the truck has a handful of regular crew cabs, so getting one won't  be too difficult. But not sure on the VIN, somewhere I've read that the VIN says crew, but since I don't have an HD crew I can't confirm. I'm not really worried bout it, I could swap dash over with the current VIN, and around here, no one is gonna know the difference. I had a '96 Centurion 1/2 ton crew cab, VIN says it was a regular cab short box. I eventually want to put the 12v, NV4500, HP60 and maybe a doubler into this...

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Crew cab vin?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 10:47:55 AM »

Joe

Welcome to the forum..I know that someone will jump in with the info you need.  Not sure how factory crew cab bodies ended up on those extended 3500HD chassis'. The VIN reference may not apply...but we will find out.

Ed

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 12:40:49 PM »

If the truck is ever used in a fashion where its load capacity matters, you could run into trouble.  The VIN does indicate the GVWR range of the truck, and your swapped-cab VIN will indicate the load range of a 2500 or 3500 whichever donor cab you find.  For example used as a wrecker, some states have an inspection that will include checking all numbers closely (just as they check the data plate on the wrecker unit - I have seen them fail wreckers for a missing data plate, which is more common than you might think.)  Or if you just find yourself hauling a heavily loaded trailer and the D.O.T. cop decides to do one of those roadside portable scale weigh-ins to see if you're legal.  This does happen, too...but I imagine it's not a widespread practice on "light" trucks unless something just looks really out of hand.  All in all though this are probably long shot scenarios for most people building a crew cab HD for themselves.

I will strongly caution you to not do any VIN tag swapping, although it is highly unlikely it would ever be detected, it is seriously against the law and can land you in a lot of trouble, the very least of which your truck being irretrievably confiscated.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

1999HD

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 01:13:57 PM »

I don't plan on doing any crazy with it, hauling or carrying anything. As of now, want the flatbed so I can put my 2 ATVs on them, then have a trailer for other stuff. I got a good deal on the truck, and always liked the HDs, even tho I'll never use it to it's full 15k potential. Since it's next to impossible to find the 10 lug hubs for any front 60, I was gonna swap the rear out for a standard 14b and run 16" wheels. But it would be nice to keep the bigger brakes. Also going with 16s is tires are cheaper. I'd want some bigger rubber, and 285/70/19/5s are almost $500 each!!! But, I talked to a guy years ago bout swapping cabs over, he couldn't get a straight answer, so called the main DMV to ask. He told them that he has a truck that the cab is too far gone to fix, but has another to swap but no title. They said was ok since the cab was toast. I'll find out myself next week. But I'm not really worried about it, since I don't plan on doing stupid stuff, crazy towing or trying to haul a truck on the back. If they do question it, I can just tell them that it's a Monroe conversion, like the Centurion's did. Centurions actually cut the firewall from the regular cab and grafted it to a GM crew cab, badly at that.  Every one I ever heard of had the rockers blow out where it was welded back together. Cops around here I kinda clueless, I had to tell one what the local lift laws were.....

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:51:31 AM »

This member made an extended cab and retained his regular cab cowl so the VIN would still reflect the capacity of an HD.  The only "gotcha" is the VIN also indicates a 2 door cab.  He grafted on the back of a 3 door extended cab, but the same process could be done for a crew cab as well.

http://3500hd.com/index.php?topic=913.0

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

1999HD

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »

That's "essentially" what I'll be doing... ::)