THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Gm 19.5" Wheel simulator tech  (Read 1225 times)

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
Gm 19.5" Wheel simulator tech
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:57:46 PM »
     Sooo, recently bought some "over the lug" wheel simulators for my HD. Over the lug wheel simulators use a threaded adapter that threads on to the remaining wheel stud that is left exposed by the lug nut. Then you place the simulator on and fasten it down with a threaded cap which screws to the adapter. What I found was that a 4x4 HD has a thicker hub flange than the hub on a stock front beam axle on a 2wd. Therefor once the lug nut is on there really isn't enough stud showing to safely mount "over the lug" simulators. Another thing is that I was told my wheel weights would not interfere with the mounting of the simulator. False. The weights pushed them aside enough to notice and be irritating.
     So I sent those back and ordered a set of "under the lug" simulators. Removed my lug nuts and ring, placed the new simulators on which still interfered with wheel weights as well as the valve stem! I was determined to get these on and have a decent looking wheel. Sooooooo I marked where each exterior weight was on each tire incase i needed to reinstall( 1 per tire) and removed them. I'm not worried about the weights that much, I don't do a lot of high speed trips nor long distance, plus I don't believe that rigid commercial tires can ever truly be balanced anyways. Once the weights were removed I took my dremel with a mini cutoff wheel and modified the valve stem opening in a surgical manner.
     Now, should go on easy right? Ehhh, well I had to place all lug nuts on and use them to suck the simulator to the rim which was about a half an inch and these things a pretty rigid. The center wasn't a perfect mold to the rim as far as depth but they were not by any means ruined or deformed once seated. The whole simulator  stayed in place, just the center "stretched" thankfully because it actually had the shape to do so.
     Anyways I figured I'd right this and save someone the trouble. I also didn't use any center caps because I like the look and the fronts wouldn't mount anyways because the truck has 10 lug nuts and the front caps are meant for 4. Also I have no noticeable wheel vibration of any kind without the weights. I would recommend the over the lug simulators for 2wd HDs
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:02:38 PM by RPF207 »
1999 chevy HD 4x4 135.5" 6.5 nv4500 bw4470 Dana 70 HP 10 lug front

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
Re: Gm 19.5" Wheel simulator tech
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 06:00:15 PM »
Some pics....

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

Raymo

• Global Moderator
  • 3500HD Driver
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 06:56:05 PM »
Damn! What a difference. Was never too hip to simulators but the thought is growing on me, and this certainly helps.
'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:08 AM »
That's good to know..I plan on buying a set this Summer once I get my 3500HD on the road. As far a wheel weights would those flat self adhesive strip style work or maybe just mount the weights on the inside?  I have an old Coats bubble balancer that works fine for me.

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 09:43:49 AM »
Yeah, I'm sure the stick on weights would work. Hopefully they make some big enough. I already have weights on the inside though so I couldn't move them from the outside to the inside. Back in high school when I worked at a garage the tire balancing machine would specifically say inside or outside for the weights. Almost every time both sides needed balancing but not always at the same position around the tire. So moving them to the inside would cause more problems

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 02:30:31 PM »
I have seen some "slabs" of lead glued to some circle track wheels...they even had duct tape holding some on. Since the race wheels were wide they only had the weights in the center. 

When using the bubble balancer if the wheel needs for example a 2oz weight you should instead place (2) 1oz weights at the 10 and 2 position and slide them towards each other until the bubble centers....this works fine for all of my vehicles so far.

Figure if you can get the wheel to bubble balance with weights only in the middle, or back or front it has to be better than no weights at all.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 11:46:04 AM »
RPF207

The more I look at the pictures the more I like the looks of the under the lug simulators using the factory lug ring and nuts (without simulator nut covers).

Would be great to if we could buy the under lug simulators without the lug covers.  Where did you buy the simulators?

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 12:44:44 PM »
Bought them on eBay from "the hubcap king". Here's a link to the item listing....   https://www.ebay.com/itm/390732562438 . I thought the same thing about the center caps, if anyone needs some I'll give them away if you pay for shipping

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks for the link...I wrote one supplier for the heck of it to see if they might have a set without caps...but am preparing to buy a set anyway..

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
Worth a try! And just a reminder, be prepared for some light modifying. As stated above I had fitment issues with both sets. Fitment issues that I know would keep some people from trying any further. I wanted a set bad enough to the point where I didn't care to use some ingenuity. If you need any advice don't be afraid to PM a phone number and I'd be happy to talk.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 07:28:38 AM »
Thanks!

BTW:  Some time ago I took a rusty vintage mag wheel, sand blasted and powder coated it just for the heck of it. Didn't look bad so I did both. Not sure if the 19.5 wheels would fit in my garage electric stove, since I have a couple extra 19.5 steel wheels might see if they would once the snow melts.  Only have the small picture attached. The silver powder coat with a clear coat looks like aluminum.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:19:06 AM by ED-NY »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM