www.3500HD.com
  • December 15, 2017, 03:28:19 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Author Topic: NV4500 transmission noise  (Read 184 times)

DieselHub

• Single Axle Driver
NV4500 transmission noise
« on: September 18, 2017, 01:34:28 AM »

Looking to see if anyone has experienced gear rollover noise from an NV4500. I have 1995 C3500HD, NV4500, 6.5 diesel. I assume this is a single mass flywheel setup? Truck only has 60,000 miles on it. Transmission produces a relatively loud growling noise in 1st and 2nd gear at idle speed. Soon as you tap the accelerator ever so slightly, noise disappears (by 800 rpm its gone). Transmission shifts nicely, never ground a gear and never missed a shift. No complaints other than the sound. I have brushed it off as gear rollover noise because I have had some noisy SMF setups in the past. However, it's a lot louder and more pronounced than any of my other experiences (Ford and International trucks come to mind). Slight noise in neutral, not nearly as pronounced and not really a growl. Does not sound like a throwout bearing to me but I've only ever had one go out. I've searched high and low and have not found this to be common...any other experiences? Thanks in advance...

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: NV4500 transmission noise
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 07:33:59 AM »

DieselHub welcome - can't help with any NV4500 related noise but have experienced a similar condition with the early NV3500 units.  Input shaft bearing noise that was corrected by GM upgrade in later models. Had the condition on my S10 pickup with T5, pilot bearing wore out so bad (70,000 miles) that the clutch plate actually off centered and touched the pressure plate when pedal was pushed down.  Had to install a new bearing and shims on the input shaft.

I'm sure someone will jump in.

Ed

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 09:54:55 PM »

Hey, welcome! I've got a '99 c3500HD with a nv4500. 50,000 miles on the truck, about 4,000 miles since the trans had a mainshaft swap to convert it to 4wd. All new bearings, all new small parts. There are two scenarios where I get noise from the trans. 1) when I'm coasting to a stop with trans in neutral (clutch in or out) I get what sounds like rollover. Another is when I've been using the truck for a while hauling or plowing and I let the clutch out in first and roll with no throttle, not an easy noise to explain but goes right away once I tap the throttle. Probably those good ol low rpm diesel harmonics coming through the single mass flywheel. Something else I've learned.... owners of vehicles with early GM nv4500s especially those behind a diesel filed many complaints about rattling noises in the trans. So mid '90s GM produced their own and very heavy harmonic balancer which gets severely pressed on behind 5th gear, helped a lot. I purchased and installed this balancer when I converted my trans to 4wd
1999 chevy HD 4x4 135.5" 6.5 nv4500 bw4470 Dana 70 HP 10 lug front

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

GM Guy

• 3500HD Driver
  • manual transmission 2wd enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 03:23:45 AM »

While I am not convinced its normal, I do have one growl-ey NV4500 in a 95 C2500 that has not given up yet. It has a noise in neutral as well.

DieselHub

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 01:08:21 PM »

Thanks for the input. I am likely to sell the truck after the first of the year and this is definitely not a good selling point! But it shifts fine so I have just lived with it.