THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: The cheapest, Ugliest dually on CL  (Read 1304 times)

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
The cheapest, Ugliest dually on CL
« on: September 23, 2017, 09:59:08 AM »
I recently bought my dream tractor, only problem is its heavy about 8200lbs. which isn't a problem for my 6 ton trailer.
But did become a problem for my half ton truck!

So the search began for a dually, I kind of blew the budget on the tractor so it had to be cheap. So I had to think out side of the box. I started looking at box trucks, moving trucks, utility trucks. If only I could find something so one job specific that it would have set most of its life, that would insure low miles and probably not beat up to much. I'm a Chevy guy, and there's a lot of cheap ford dually's out there with non turbo 7.3's but I didn't really want a ford.

Then I found the Diamond in the ruff, very ruff. 1994 GMC 3500hd. with 73,000 miles. 454 w/ auto A/C blows Ice cold!
I will let the photos do the talking.
MrC.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:48:59 PM by MrC. »

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Finding the cheapest dually on CL
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 10:10:05 AM »
The plan is to put a short flat bed on it, so it having a lift and service bed was not an issue.
I drove and hour an a half to get it home.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
So a few hours later and with the help of my new to me tractor the lift was out.
Even though it worked, I had no use for it. so I scraped it.
any guesses to what it weighed?
4100 lbs just the lift I was amazed at how good the truck pulled and ran with that much weight so high up on it.
The outriggers are next. if this keeps up I will have removed about 5,000lbs from the truck, that almost half its weight.

MrC.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:15:55 PM by MrC. »

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 10:20:15 AM »
Now off with the outriggers!
Since I am keeping this project on the cheap, I have decided to keep the service bed for now until I find or build a cheap flat bed for it.
MrC.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:17:28 PM by MrC. »

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »
So the rears are off and the fronts are next, I am going to keep a pair of the cylinders for a grapple project for my tractor.
Next up is some interior work, it needs some door handles, door panels and a better seat.
Water pump is making a little noise so a new one is on the way, I will replace the belt tensioner and idler while it is torn down along with a new belt.
I will remove the engine driven hydraulic pump as well. The tires look original yes, 1993 tires, so they will also need replacing and while I am there put on some new brake pads and add a trailer brake controller. Head lights and marker lights will be replaced too. Paint will be in the near future but that will push my 2g budget, so it may have to wait.

Then she will be ready for service.
With buying the truck, scraping the lift and out riggers and all the upgrades, I should have right at $2,000 total investment.
I think it is well worth that, to serve as my dedicated tow rig.

I will update the progress as I go. These really are amazing trucks.
MrC.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:20:26 PM by MrC. »

240g

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:57:21 PM »
Welcome to the forum. Nice find, you don't come across the short wheelbase trucks a whole lot; or a/c for that matter. That scissor lift thing was pretty cool, one more thing you don't see everyday.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 11:05:55 PM »
MrC ..welcome...I like that you are off setting the cost by moving parts.  Thanks for sharing.

Ed

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 01:05:20 AM »
Thanks guys,
I own a monument company, and that required the larger tractor, having a shorter wheel base truck is a benefit for driving in cemetery's and other tight places. I live in Florida so A/C is mandatory.

I am trying to not be required to have a CDL, I called my states D.O.T. office and they told me it was curb side weight, not total possible weight. I will add the weight of 26,000lbs to my tag, but should never reach it.

I figure the truck w/ tools should be no more than 7,000
                                        my 6 ton trailer is at most     2,500
                                  and my tractor weighs less than   8,500
                                     a full granite job could be up to 6,000
                                                   which bring me in at 24,000lbs

I have been very generous with these numbers and rarely would I set a full job in one trip, that's a double granite headstone, 2 full size granite slabs and the concrete/tools to set it all with. If need be two trips could be done, I work in a 50 miles radius, from my office.

I have a lot of parts coming in this week, I will post as I get them installed.
MrC.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
I have been busy.
a little paint, and a lot of sweat.
Found out the water pump had almost a half inch of play up and down, that must have been that odd grinding sound I heard, pulled the belt off and started it up, sounds almost silent.
Its coming together, I had to knock a lot of ugly off this one.
The wife thinks I'm crazy.
MrC.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2017, 01:34:09 PM »
more photos of this weekends progress. I am going to have to move the bumper forward, I didn't think about that till the bed was placed back on in its new position. I got lucky and the bed lined up with factory bed mounts in the frame on the front.

MrC.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 02:52:22 PM »
Well after a lengthy fight with DMV, I had to have the truck scaled, with just the utility bed is scaled 7700lbs. I will find a flat bed soon, that should save some weight as well. I hope to get it down to close to 6500. I know this utility bed (reinforced Crane Body) almost maxed my tractor out and it can lift 3k.

Next up is some bolt on power adders and a good tune up. The stock base timing is 4 degrees BTDC (with tan wire disconnected) . I'm going to increase that to 8 and see how it runs.
It starts and runs smooth now, just seems to be weak pulling 10k. I know its not a modern diesel, but dang she is slow on a hill.
I took my tractor to town yesterday just to do some test pulls. I have never towed with a dually, I can tell a huge difference in just a few short miles. when changing lanes and maneuvering there is no sway or roll like with a single rear wheel truck, it seems very solid and stable with a load.

Here is a pic of my set up after about 40 miles and just driving around.
I did install a brake controller "Curt"brand,  tied into a yellow wire off the brake switch for my brake signal, works great.

MrC.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
Re: The cheapest, Ugliest dually on CL
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 06:00:49 PM »
Well here we are today.
Bed is mounted, I ended up raising it 3 inches so I could run the fuel filler neck between the truck frame and bed frame. I could not come up with another option that I liked.
I had to completely rewire the entire bed seemed P.O. liked tape and splices.

Tomorrow I will hook it up to the trailer and test the brakes. I am happy with the out come so far. still along way to go but moving forward.
MrC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 06:03:56 PM by MrC. »

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:28:50 PM »
That bed height doesn't look bad at all.... and it's a bolt on.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 09:10:26 PM »
Thanks ed.
I used 4 inch channel on the other mounts. I don't like welding on a frame. Also I cut 14 inches total off the bottom of the headache rack.
and this bed is a true 8 ft. wide.

Thanks again for all your help.

MrC.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 12:51:35 PM by MrC. »

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 01:33:21 PM »
We are up and running again, that is with a new cut down bed. all lights are now working correctly. I'm pretty pleased so far.
Now time to jump on the interior and finish that up.
May be by spring I will be ready for some paint.
MrC.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:35:12 PM by MrC. »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM