THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: trouble finding steering part, (steering) please help  (Read 389 times)

remingtongoose77

• Single Axle Driver
trouble finding steering part, (steering) please help
« on: October 07, 2017, 11:05:20 PM »
Hello all, I am trying to find a part, or at least the name of the part so I can search for a new one.

The part I am looking for is on the end of our tie rod. This is the tie rod that's about 2 feet long. There is a part that threads on the end of it that is flat on the end with a taper to attach to the pitman arm. I need this part.

Further description:

It has a tapered hole on one end, its about 4 or 5 inched long and with male threads on the other end, and it attached to the tie rod with an adjusting sleeve.

If anyone knows what this is called, or a part number that would be great I need one.

Thank you

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: trouble finding steering part, (steering) please help
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 06:42:48 AM »
I got your PM but I'm responding here in hopes it may help others as well.

I'm not recalling that part right off hand but please check the diagram from the factory manual and see if you can identify it there.  Here are some hasty but hopefully useful scans from the 1994 GM C/K truck manuals, and these pages are specific to the 3500HD front axle.

http://www.someotherplace.com/info/FSM3C_30.JPG - bottom half of page is where the HD info begins
http://www.someotherplace.com/info/FSM3C_31.JPG - diagram

Then if you'd also like the rest of the service information related to the front axle, just keep changing the #'s in the link to 32, 33, etc. all the way to 41.

I also find that looking up parts on NAPA's website (napaonline.com) can be useful as they do differentiate in the model selection for the 3500HD vs. the regular 3500.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

remingtongoose77

• Single Axle Driver
Re: trouble finding steering part, (steering) please help
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 09:37:39 PM »
I finally found the part I was looking for. Its called a "steering gear idler arm" Its GM original part number is 26023005, this is a special order part and about 115 bucks. If you look at your steering gear box you have a pitman arm attached to it, and on the end of the pitman arm is a tapered ball joint. On that tapered ball joint is this idler arm. Its solid steel and probably will never go bad, but I am fully restoring my truck and wanted to put on all new parts. No rust, no crust.

Good luck.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM