www.3500HD.com
  • December 14, 2017, 09:47:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Author Topic: Flat bed  (Read 217 times)

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
Flat bed
« on: November 17, 2017, 11:05:05 AM »

Hey guys, I am picking up a 11ftx8ft flatbed tomorrow it came off a 2005 Topkick.

The owner says it has 33 in center to center frame rails?. I know the headache rack is going to be to tall, I am considering cutting it down to 9 feet in length as well.

The big question is will it fit the frame?
I have a 94 3500hd.

Thanks
MrC.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Flat bed
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »

Yep.  It's actually 34" as that is the standard chassis cab dimension so that many beds will fit across as many brands, models, and years as they can.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 11:38:44 AM »

Thanks for the fast response SomeOtherGuy

I priced out building one myself, and this one is just to cheap not to buy it.
I may talk myself out of cutting it down to 9 ft. but If I leave it 11ft. the gooseneck will be behind the axle and my currant hitch would be obsolete being 2 feet under the bed.
the flat bed has a built in hitch, But I do not know the rating of it. I'm sure if it was on a topkick it would pull 20k lbs.

Thanks again
MrC.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 12:11:40 AM »

Hey Guys,

So I picked up the flatbed (from a 2005) Topkick. it is 11x8. My plan was to cut it down.
I have a few concerns before I fire up the saws.

1. If I cut 2 feet off the rear, I could continue to use my frame mounted hitch, but the gooseneck box will be behind the axle about 18 inches.

2. If I cut off the Headache rack and remove 2 feet then reinstall the rack then the gooseneck box will be directly over the axle. I would have to also cut off the hitch that is mounted to the flatbed. (I don't know the rating anyway, and it looks like it's been cut on already.

3. If I cut it just in front of  the gooseneck box (the middle) and take 2 feet out of the middle, this would also require removing the flatbed hitch. But I would want to plate the joint since it would be a butt weld, or at least sleave it.

Any thoughts? I do not own a gooseneck trailer, I don't see buying one anytime soon, but I don't want to make a mistake here either. The PO cut the gooseneck plate out of the Topkick and it is still attached to the bottom of the bed. It looks rough and I would not want to try and reinstall that plate anyways, so I am just mostly concerned about the box and the reinforcement that makes up the access hole (box)

Any thoughts?
MrC.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »

Just my opinion...if you don't anticipate using the gooseneck feature and got a "deal" on the bed anyway..build it the safest then easiest way.

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:49:11 PM »

Hey Guys,

I have never owned or used a gooseneck, this flat bed I bought has a recessed well with a ball mounted to a plate welded to the bed, I can also see where there was another plate on the bottom that was welded to the truck frame, it seems that they had to cut the frame plate out. I have looked at a lot of beds that the ball is mounted to the bed, not the truck frame. I am wondering if I could tow from this ball being just mounted to the bed and not also to the truck frame? Am I missing something? should I torch off this plate and ball, and just use the well as an access hole? I will post some picks of it ASAP. the bed came off a topkick truck, but I don't think it was factory installed, because it was welded on in a few places, most factory stuff bolts on.

Here is a pic of it cut down to 9ft 3 inches, this is now the same length as my service bed. this also placed the wheels in the wheel wells and lined the gooseneck up over the rear axle.

Thanks
MrC.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 08:02:45 PM by MrC. »

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:19:05 AM »

When I made my 3500HD dump bed I bolted the two side supports to the frame, then added a middle support from the hitch to the tank cover. That added support only stabilizes the hitch and doesn't carry any weight.  The bed is completely removable from the  unmodified chassis. 

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:32:23 AM »

OH Yeah...forgot to mention that I relocated the tank fill hose to the rear between the frame rails, then made that trap door to access it. 

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »

Nice looking set up. Did you space the bed up off the frame rails, or mount it directly on the frame?
I want to keep my bed height as low as possible. routing the filler neck is awkward if you don't raise the bed.
can you post a pic from the side, so I can see how the bed frame is mounted to the truck frame.
Thanks
MRC.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 08:39:49 PM »

Nice looking set up. Did you space the bed up off the frame rails, or mount it directly on the frame?
I want to keep my bed height as low as possible. routing the filler neck is awkward if you don't raise the bed.
can you post a pic from the side, so I can see how the bed frame is mounted to the truck frame.
Thanks
MRC.

I'll get some pics tomorrow, again I made it a dump bed so the main frame rails are directly above the trucks frame rails.  I wanted the bed as low as possible and accomplished that by routing the fuel filler neck out the back.

BTW: still working on getting these fonts larger!

SlowBoat

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2017, 07:13:00 PM »

In looking at the inverted bed pic, I noticed that the gooseneck ball is mounted in the bottom of a fabricated box.  Can't tell how heavy of metal that the box is made out of, but didn't see any bracing of the box to the rails or crossmembers.  That would put a lot of stress on that box itself.  You might want to consider some bracing to the main rails and crossmembers to prevent a collapse if it does ever get used.
2001 Chevrolet 3500HD 159.5 WB, 8.1L, 5spd, 4.63
2000 GMC Sierra 3500HD 159.5 WB, 6.5L, 5spd, 5.13
1996 Chevrolet 3500HD 159.5 WB, 6.5L, AT
1995 Chevrolet 30HD Box Van, Bad gas engine, AT
1997 GMC Sierra 3500 CC, DRW, 6.5L, AT, 3.73

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »

Yep slow boat
you saw it too. It seem Previous owner welded a goose neck plate to the truck frame then welded the flat bed to the goose neck plate. When they separated the flat bed from the truck frame they cut the plate from the frame and left it welded to the flat bed. That box is not strong enough to tow from. I'm cutting it all out tomorrow I didn't realize how it was all put together until I flipped it over.
Thanks for the input. I will use the box as an access hole only and install a plate and ball if I ever go goose neck.

MRC.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:16:24 AM by MrC. »

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 07:21:08 PM »

Attached some pictures...but realized you aren't building a dump body so my setup won't work for you.  Maybe you could make it a dump and install hydraulics later?

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #13 on: Today at 09:10:34 AM »

Thank you Ed-NY
For taking the time to post these pictures. They really helped.
I had a concern if the bed set flat on the frame rails would there be enough height to clear the tires (tires not hit bed ) when loaded. Your bed and mine are both built using the same size material. So I should be fine.
I have the flat bed ready, and this Saturday will be putting it on, or at least a good test fit.

I have removed the goose neck plate and the lower half of the box, reason is it hung down very low, on the previous install the flat bed was spaced up off the frame and resulted in the goose neck being dropped lower to reach that frame, by me setting the bed flat on the frame rails ( no spacing) the goose neck was below the top of the frame by 6 inches or more.

Should I put any rubber or weather strip type material between the frame rails and bed to reduce squeaking or rattles?
I looked at a brand new truck the other day, it had none and was held on by only 8 -1/4 flat bar mounts.

I will post some pics soon I hope.

MrC.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:19:16 AM by MrC. »

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #14 on: Today at 05:36:13 PM »

When I made the bed I positioned the cross-rails off the tire center to provide more clearance.  If you can get some spruce between the frame and bed rails probably wouldn't hurt to help distribute the load better.