THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: TBI tuning option!  (Read 661 times)

MrC.

• One Ton Driver
Re: TBI tuning option!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 01:56:25 PM »
Hey Ed.

I'm glad you posted this.

I have been reading we (3500hd's) have a higher pressure regulator factory. I have read it is 30 psi as opposed to the 13-15 psi of a half ton truck. I have also read we have small stock injectors 42#. I have been thinking about replacing my stock injectors with 55-60# units. and adding a chip (maybe a custom one) along with free flowing exhaust (no cats).
Would you see a power gain in this setup of am I missing something?

I had a 95 tbi 1/2 ton w/ 305 back in 96, I changed out to larger Holley injectors, and raised the stock pressure to 20 psi, along with a chip and underdrive pulleys and exhaust, it was noticeable. and smoked stock 350's of the day. I was hoping to repeat those results with my 3500hd.

Any advice?

Thanks,
MrC.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:14:59 PM »
Don't remember which engine you have but fuel alone won't make a huge difference. As you know, heads, cam and exhaust need to be included in a performance upgrade.  I have had luck un-soldering the proms in 1227747 ECM and soldering in a zif socket so we could use a flashable prom.

What I did with my current 3500HD is install a TPI setup and wired in a TPI ecm to run it. Did not put it on the road yet, it's done but I don't want to drive it in the Winter.  The truck is parked outside and has been sitting for a couple of months....this AM it fired right up. I'll know in Spring how it works, the TPI engines are noted for low end torque.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:01:26 AM »
I have been reading we (3500hd's) have a higher pressure regulator factory. I have read it is 30 psi as opposed to the 13-15 psi of a half ton truck. I have also read we have small stock injectors 42#
It's not a 3500HD thing.  The 1994-1995 7.4 engine has a higher pressure pump and different injectors than the earlier years, even in the 3500 and 2500 trucks.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

MrC.

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 03:14:46 PM »
You are right Someotherguy, I did read that only 94-95 3500HD's had the high pressure pump. Thanks for stating that.

I have a 1994 3500hd. I have not checked the pressure, but from what I have read it should be 30psi with 42# injectors.
That said, would there be any gains if I switched to a 50-60# injectors and removed the cat and opened up the exhaust?

Thanks
MrC.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
3500HD King Pin Replacement
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM