THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: steering alignment stuff  (Read 238 times)

remingtongoose77

• Single Axle Driver
steering alignment stuff
« on: January 07, 2018, 09:21:32 PM »
Hello all,

I have 96 HD. I bought it last May, tore it down the the frame and cab, then began the rebuilding process. I'm getting close to being done.

I just finished hanging both axles and all steering and suspension and I noticed something in the front end.

I rebuild my front axle completely, stripped it and powder coated it, rebuilt the front hubs and spindles. I put in new bushings, honed them to fit the pins and put it together.

I just set my front bearing clearance to the GM manual, I have them at .005 axial play. When the truck is on the lift and the hubs are facing straight and you look at them it looks like the hub face is cambered out positive. Is it supposed to be like this? I assume if it had a bunch of weight on it the front axle would flex slightly and make the tire straight.

Remember the truck is living on my 2 post lift. I normally see some positive camber in independent front suspension trucks. As the tires move up the camber in, but this is an I beam front axle, and I have no experience with it. I'm not too worried because its all in spec, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it looked like when I bought it.

thanks all. 

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: steering alignment stuff
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 08:15:41 AM »
Any time I have axle questions I go to my local school bus garage, those folks work on them all of the time and have a high repair standard.

Did locate this motor home manual, front end I-beam specs are noted on page 3-2, might help some.

http://www.gmcmi.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/P30-Chassis-Manual.pdf

It appears GVW affects alignment specifications also.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:18:45 AM by ED-NY »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM