THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: 200 amp problem  (Read 292 times)

snowman4evr

• Single Axle Driver
200 amp problem
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:26:39 PM »
So bought a new to me bucket truck (2002 C3500HD) and was told that it had a pto running the bucket, well i suppose what they thought was the pto actually just locks the brakes on.  So it had a 200 amp alternator on it powering 4 (completely shot) 8d batteries to an inverter that then fed the main hyd pump 12v (175 amp)  Well alternator was shot (not rebuild-able) and a new one was $800 so before I found out that it didnt have a pto I decided to buy a new Honeywell 6500 watt genset for it that I plan on mounting on one side of the bed, to power all my outlets around the truck.  so my question is what do you all think would be the best way to feed that main 175 amp hyd pump?  I was thinking about a 200 amp battery charger plugged into the genset, going to two batteries in toolbox, but not sure if would self regulate or explode the batteries while iam 35 foot in the air?  Any ideas?

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: 200 amp problem
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
Sounds like questions for a bucket truck supplier? Between the alternator and deep cycle batteries you are looking at close to 2K. Didn't realize that those pump motors are 175 amp (draw?). Probably need to determine the actual amp draw while operating the unit then you can match it.

snowman4evr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
Thanks ed, no good to call bucket truck supplier, they would just say "buy the alternator" which is what I am not wanting to do.  As the old alternator was 200 amps, that should be sufficient.   

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 09:52:18 PM »
Just did a quick search on eBay...they have GM 200 amp alternators under $150 (and higher/no core charge)

I'm sure you know that if you search the following: retailmenot advance auto parts and go to the retailmenot site you can find some good discounts to use at Advance check out.  I save a lot of money that way.

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM