THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: 6.5 was leaking fuel from near filter  (Read 58 times)

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
6.5 was leaking fuel from near filter
« on: September 01, 2018, 09:15:29 PM »
Figured I’d post my experience from today. Started Monday when I was delivering fired wood. Got out and noticed a small puddle of fuel, popped the hood and all around the fuel filter area was wet. Got home and shut off the truck and figured I’d get to it when I had time. Went to start the truck Wednesday to see where fuel was coming from but it wouldn’t fire up anymore. So I was out of luck there and decided today to  pull the filter housing and inspect it as well as the 4 rubber fuel lines in that area.
      Never actually came across anything that really stood out as a leak after inspection so I bought all new rubber hose for the 4 different lines, new filter with gasket and a new Oring for the fuel heater on the bottom of the filter housing anyways.. FYI the fuel heater oring not only seems to be an odd size but is a real pain to keep on the housing. Only oring I could find at Napa that would work was slightly smaller in diameter but slightly larger in thickness. It ended up working though, had to stretch it, hold it on the and quickly install the heater.
     Two of the rubber fuel lines snake through from front to back of the intake manifold on my 6.5. To maintain the original path I took three feet of weed whacker string and pushed it through the fuel line until it came out the other side, then removed the fuel line letting the whacker string slide out and stay in place. Then pushed the whacker string into the new fuel line and pulled it back through into the original path. I was worried that not buying preformed fuel line would result in kinks but everything turned out fine.
     Bleed the system, fired up the truck and now no more leaks. So one of those things I messed with was the problem but showed no obvious signs
1999 chevy HD 4x4 135.5" 6.5 nv4500 bw4470 Dana 70 HP 10 lug front

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: 6.5 was leaking fuel from near filter
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 07:06:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing....good that it didn't happen in the middle of Winter.

RPF207

• 3500HD Driver
Re: 6.5 was leaking fuel from near filter
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 09:27:18 PM »
No kidding, I’m glad it didn’t Ed.
1999 chevy HD 4x4 135.5" 6.5 nv4500 bw4470 Dana 70 HP 10 lug front

Due to recent budget cuts the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM