THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: TBI  (Read 3565 times)

MrC.

• One Ton Driver
TBI
« on: October 01, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »
So this weekend was Dually Day,
Started off with a complete rebuild of my TBI, it was dirtier than I thought,
I have a 1994 HD short flat Bed.454. turbo 400 w/ OD

I installed a new key cylinder, which wasn't hard just get the right tools, a steering wheel puller and a plate pusher thingy. I dont know whats its called but I own one now.

I bought the rebuild kit from amazon, very nice kit everything worked perfect except the base gasket, the kit was for the 350 tbi not our 454, keep that in mind. after the rebuild and new fuel filter installed I t'ed in a pressure gauge, I found that you can unscrew the factory "adjuster" in the non adjustable fuel pressure regulator, I craned it downward about 5 revolutions. running at Idle I have 52# of fuel pressure with stock pump, when I floor it no load it drops to 32# then raises back up when I let off, this seems good. I have not installed the new vortec pump that  I bought, I an impress with these numbers unless someone here says otherwise.

I installed a small 2.25 tach, cold she idles at 1100-1200 and warm 850-950, which seems a little high but not to bad.
I found that my knock senor is busted and not hooked up, but I do not seen any code being thrown, so I will address that asap.
I would like to lower the idle, not sure about drilling out the plug and using the torx bit or tweaking the TPI and doing it that way any thoughts?

Over all the day was a huge success, It feels a lot more peppy after the rebuild. ( I used carb cleaner and gasoline) the IRC i left installed and cleaned the underside, you can see the spring and plunger, mine was stuck, i freed it, cleaned it, lubed it now you can move it in and out with your thumb)

I also installed my chain box. this was a 3.5 foot box, but I only have room for a 2.5 foot box, so I chopped it down to fit. Damn I am cheap.
MrC.

Off to get some tires.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: TBI
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 11:40:10 PM »
You mentioned TPI  but I suspect you were referencing the throttle body.  Instead of trying to explain the process...watch this guys video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJkPgkMpTFs

Check base timing first....

MrC.

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:24:37 PM »
I was thinking of doing it this way?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzdBKSKBgc

thanks
Ed-NY

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 04:47:37 PM »
Give it a try...if it makes no difference, remove the IAC, clean and compress the pintle and re-install it...then try the first video.

But first check the base timing and adjust the TPS voltage within closed throttle plate range.

MrC.

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 09:14:34 AM »
Thanks for the help ED-NY

I have my base timing ( tan wire disconnected ) at 4 degrees BTDC.
I will follow that video and get my base idle as you have suggested.

Q. With my fuel pressure is at 52 psi running at idle, then dropping to 32 psi at full throttle with no load, do you think I should not change my fuel pump to the vortec high pressure pump? I have bought it and a new sock, but was thinking of returning it, since my pressure numbers looked good to me.

Would the high pressure pump be better? could it maintain high pressure while full throttle no load?
its a $60 question, keep and change it, or return it? I can tell a difference after the rebuild/filter/F.P.R. being adjusted.

Also, Amazon has some great prices on 225/70/19.5 tires,  14 ply drive tires.
I am sure they are not as good as goodyear but for me, they should work fine.

Thunderer Drive All-Season Radial Tire-225/70R19.5 127M
by Thunderer
Be the first to review this item 
Price:   $139.00 & FREE Shipping

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
3500HD King Pin Replacement
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM