THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Maybe if I don't look at the gages, the problem will go away...  (Read 4024 times)

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
So I took half a day off on Friday to get some errands done.  Took the truck up to the local welding shop to get some supplies and then off to the steel service center for raw materials for a couple projects.

I distinctly remember glancing at the gage cluster, and thinking to myself, "Volts looks a little low...and the tach isn't matching what I hear from the engine at all"....Hmmphf...Must be a loose ground wire somewhere in the dash...I'll check it out when I get done.

Pulled into a quickie mart to grab a drink, because the A/C still doesn't work.  Got back on the road and drove 15 minutes to the LWS.  Picked up my supplies, and tried to start the truck...emphasis on tried.   Rrrrrrrr.....RrRrRr....R..r...R..r...r......r........r.  She's dead as a doornail.

Called in a favor for a ride home and grabbed some tools and the other truck.  Drove back to the DOA truck, and yanked the alternator and both batteries.  Parts store tells me the alternator and 1 battery are toast.  $240 for a 140 amp alternator and a new battery(1000CCA).  Back to the truck this morning.  New alternator fits like a glove, but wiring harness plug doesn't fit.   sigh... back to the parts store for a new, OEM style alternator.  No desire to fiddle with wiring...Just get the truck working.  Back to the truck with a co-pilot, and install recharged old battery, new battery, and new alternator.  Truck running like a top.  Refunded $30 for the lower 100 amp output alternator....

The moral of the story.  Don't ignore what your eyes are telling you.  It's not your imagination if things don't look right.  And get those batteries tested in this heat.  I'm just glad I was stuck in a parking lot when things crapped out, and not on the side of the highway.
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Maybe if I don't look at the gages, the problem will go away...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 08:47:45 PM »
I like those stories with if not a happy..at least a successful ending.  As I was reading your post I was expecting a "what do you think is wrong" question at the end.  Glad you got it up and running...those problems only occur up here when it's 10 below zero and we have 3 feet of snow!

Ed

merlin5577

• Global Moderator
  • Dually Driver
    • Great site for all trucks!
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:39:34 PM »
Amen to that. Always better to be pro-active then reactive. If you think that something is wrong, check it out. A minute now, could save you hours later.

Glad your back up and running.
-Robert.
My Trucks;
2003 Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD 4X4 6.6L w/Allison 1000
1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4X4 5.7L w/4L60-E
"If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:59:21 AM »
Wasn't a big deal in the end, just a time consuming chore.

While shopping parts, I noticed that the computer at the parts store mentioned there's a dual alternator option possible.  Anybody ever seen one of these engines with this setup?  If so, any chance of posting a picture?

I wouldn't mind having the extra power on my truck as I've been thinking about installing a large inverter for added 120VAC power....
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:01 AM »

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM