Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Raymo's '94 HD rebuild  (Read 16783 times)
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« on: August 11, 2010, 02:14:23 PM »

I've been workin' on this since I brought it home back in February. It's gettin' there but there's still some long days ahead.

Specs:
'94 3500HD. Originally a 159.5" chassis- shortened 28" to utilize a pickup bed.
'93 Cummins engine, Getrag trans, NP205 transfer case
Dana 60 front with 8-lug 19.5's and 4.10 gears
Dana 80 rear, re-geared to a 4.10
Full 4" turbo-back mandrel bent exhaust

The day it was brought home

The rockers and cab corners were perfect, but the vinyl covering had "had it's way" with the floor, as usual Angry Just yesterday I had put down a very thick layer of a two part urethane bed liner, so after the 18 hours of prep work I'm hoping that last the life of the truck body. I still have to get pictures of the finished product.

So after the floors had been welded up, I had set the engine and built mounts. I used the factory dodge mounts, which, when trimmed fit perfectly into the frame. I built a simple trans crossmember out of some angle, 1.5" DOM and a Chevy 4x4 trans mount.

Then it was on to the core support. I used the Dodge radiator and intercooler. The HD core support really lent itself to the use of the Dodge pieces. I still have to take a pic of the intercooler mounting, but I used the Dodge pieces cut from the Dodge core support to mount the radiator in the Chevy support.

So once the hard work was done on the front half, I moved to the rear. I moved the rear end up 28" by cutting the rivets and using 1/2" hardware to re-attach the spring perches and overload stops. Then I fabbed up some bed mounts out of 1.5"x 3" tall rectangle tube. Luckily, the cab and chassis rear axle is only 10" overall wider from outside tire to tire than a single wheel bed. Bushwacker came to the rescue with their 5" wide cut-out flare, which made up the difference perfectly.

Then comes the 4wd conversion. I used a Dana 60 front from a '79 Dodge W300. With it's 32.5" spring pad width, it was a direct bolt in with the HD leaf sprung front end. I'm not too happy about the height gain, but for the direct bolt in, and leaving the engine crossmember alone, I can live with it. I also used a crossover steering arm on the 60 to keep with the same steering set up these trucks come with.

And with all that, comes to where I'm at now. The part in the build with the 1000 little things to slow down progress.

'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison
ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »

Raymo

Really looks outstanding!  You really have put in some serious work...great job!  Any way to post full side shot to show what the wheelbase looks like?

Ed
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 08:05:34 PM »

Thanks Ed!

And yes, there will be a lot more pictures to come as I finish the assembly. I've got three days yet before I can shut the doors to roll it outside  Cheesy.

There's quite a list of things to do yet, like complete fuel an brake lines, and an entirely new universal wiring harness to string thru it.

'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

plasticbadger
Dually Driver

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 05:57:44 AM »

Great looking build Raymo, I think the HD looks awesome with the pickup bed on and flares, gives me and idea!

This is the first truck I've seen that's got the same front end lift from the 4WD conversion as mine, although mine has the Dana 70 front. You're right that it sits high, but as far as I can see there's nothing you can do. Mine is nearly on the bump stops at the moment.

I was planning on lengthing my wheelbase out to 138 from the current 120, so I'd be interested to see how your rig rides. Keep me posted.

2000 3500HD 6.5TD 4x4 ex-armoured car - the Worlds only RHD 4x4 3500HD?
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 08:14:56 AM »

I'm expecting nothing short of driving with both hands on the wheel in this truck while it's being driven empty  Grin

Well my fuel tank has arrived, brand new tank, straps, and bolts. Going to be running the new fuel line within the next couple days. I do have to figure out how I'm going to get fuel in it, as the filler on the tank is a good bit behind the fuel door in the bed. I may just burn in a new filler in the tank, in line with the bedside loction.

The under hood and steering column wiring is done, just have to mount my battery. After I get those few things done it'll be ready to fire up.

ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 08:24:30 AM »

Raymo

Can you use something like a flexible radiator hose?

Ed

BTW:  After seeing your project I am convinced to use my extra rolling 1992 3500HD chassis for an 8' fleetside bed project like yours. I'll leave the straight axle up front and just move the rear axle up front 4" to make the correct wheelbase. Would be a bit harder with my 1995 3500HD chassis as those frame plates would be an obstacle for the front spring perches.

I just need to locate a complete 1500/2500 donor truck with 8' bed. Come across them occasionally with bad frames and good bodies for some reason.  I thought GM made an 8' (88-98) step side bed?  That would look neat on the chassis also.

Would like to see how you mounted the bed on the chassis.

Ed
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 09:20:31 AM by ED-NY » Logged
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 05:52:43 PM »

I'll get ya some bed mount pics tomorrow.

One thing about the pick-up bed on this chassis is the inner wheel wells, they're a couple inches shy of clearing the inner wheels so the bed will have to be "tubbed" a little bit. With the rear of mine lifted, I have tons of clearance, but a stock height truck will rub when loaded.

I think it'd be pretty slick to tub the bed with some wheel wells from a donor bed at a junkyard for a factory look  Wink

If I remember correctly it needs an extra 2" on each side.

someotherguy
3500HD Hero

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 07:40:02 AM »

Hey Ed- no 8' stepsides in this body style.  They made them back in the day, but not in the GMT400 body.  However, seems like you could fab one, if you wanted to; just would take extending the box sheetmetal and then glassing up the fenders.  Not trivial but certainly do-able.

Richard

06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

Thanks Richard...I remember seeing them...but I was off a generation or so!
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

Well here's some pictures of work that's been going on lately, and one for Ed.

This is of the bed mount. I'll be adding a couple more in, and supporting the center with the gooseneck hitch. I used 1.5x3" tube, but I would suggest settin' the bed on your frame and lining it up to see what mount height you need, I found I gained a little bit on my cab with the use of Poly cab mounts.

Here's the floor all prepped and taped for the bedliner. I have to get the picture of the lined floor off the wife's camera yet.

And finally a shot of just some of the spaghetti I've been stringing throughout the truck.

ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »

Rayo

Thanks for the pictures..I'm still looking for a solid donor truck. Now I know what I'm up against...not really a big deal

Thanks again..

Ed
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 01:41:33 PM »

Well I welded a new inlet on my fuel tank, ran line and got that installed. I lost a chunk of my pinky finger during that process  Grin

So tomorrow I'm going to check the fluids and fire it up. Pretty excited to hear my new 4" exhaust.

Youngest3500HDfan
Single Axle Driver

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 06:51:19 PM »

Thats awesome Raymo!

When I'm FRE- I mean, out of the house and have hopefully a house of my own, I'd like to do something like that.

I'm planning on picking up a crew cab and making it into a pick up and converting it to 4x4. I was planning on keeping it stock motor, but now that I've seen yours I think it would be even cooler to drop a better engine into. Since you'd already done a Cummins I should go outside the box and drop a Duramax in it, providing one could fit Wink

But this would be years from now. Unless I came across a lot of money, then it might make a good summer project for me and my uncle.

That would sure be nice Smiley

Willie

Crazy about the 3500HD!
Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 11:18:43 AM »

We'll I've had this thing runnin' for a couple weeks now. Lots of work done, all my Auto Meter guages are installed, got an air intake and filter set up. Also installed the entirely new brake system. Still have some bugs to work out but it's getting there and makes it's way in and out of the garage on its own!

Raymo
Global Moderator
3500HD Driver

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

Well the truck has been plated and insured for a couple weeks now, but due to some brake trouble I wasn't able to put any miles on it until today.

There are still some bugs to work out, but it functions perfectly. Tracks straight, runs smooth and actually doesn't ride half bad. I would say it rides as good, if not better than an OBS 4x4 with IFS/ torsion bars. Well lets make that a normal regular cab, 4x4 dually, because on the big bumps the overloads like to buck the rear a little bit.

Over all, I'm happy to be driving it. But with the in cab noise, I may add some creature comforts, such as carpet to deaden some of the racket the Cummins makes.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to:  

LINK SECTION - DON'T SEE DISTRACTING ADVERTISING PASTED ALL OVER THIS FORUM? THAT'S BECAUSE THIS IS A REFERENCE SITE.
THIS IS OUR FREE ADVERTISING AREA... FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (yours included).

DURAMAX SWAP How To Manual
GMT400 FORUM
FIND THE LOWEST FUEL PRICES IN YOUR AREA
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
DeCodeThis VIN Decoder
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
BCC Bin Look Up
Classic Shop Talk
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
THE RUSTY BOWTIE FORUM
1991-2002 Chevy/GMC 3500HD History - Specifications
STEP VAN PARTS
METAL MEET FORUM
GMT400 VIN DECODING by someotherguy
C/K 3500HD Wikipedia Link
THE TRUCK STOP
THE DIESEL GARAGE
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION SPAM INFO SITE
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST