THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Dead Fuel Gauge  (Read 2992 times)

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Dead Fuel Gauge
« on: August 26, 2010, 09:22:48 PM »
So, the truck sat for ~2 weeks, and I went out to do some maintenance work.  Low and behold, I have no fuel!  I'm positive that I had half a tank(about 20 gallons).  In a fit of paranoia, I run out ranting and raving about thieves siphoning my tank.  I buy locking caps and install them.  Paranoia fades, and I begin to wonder about electrical problems...So I take the truck to the gas station and fill the front tank.  It takes 9.5 gallons to fill.... and the gauge still reads 'E'.  Hmmm, I says.  The front tank is at least 20 gallons so I figure there was at least 10 gallons in there....

So, since I know about ground connection issues with these trucks I was wondering if anybody had suggestions for which ground connection to start with?

All the other gauges in the console work correctly.  No fuses appear blown.

On a related subject, has anybody ever converted a two tank fuel system to a single tank?  I don't drive this truck long distances, and it gives me chest pains every time I take it to the gas station and fill it up with diesel.  45 or so gallons, at $3 a gallon, will be the death of me...
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Dead Fuel Gauge
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 10:28:10 PM »
A_DAB_will_do

I'll jump in...since you live up north (ie rust) I would look at the sending unit ground connection first. Then hook up an ohm meter to the lines coming from the tank, there should be a connector right there. The GM sending unit works within the 0-90 ohm range. If you have a reading in that range at the tank...look for pin hole breaks in the lines along the frame up into the cab (ie test for a reading from the tank to the dash).

I've seen where someone previously poked a hole in a wire to test it the over a year or so the salt etc gets in and corrodes the wire until it no longer carries a signal.

Ed

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 06:49:03 PM »
Thanks Ed.  I'll crawl under the truck and check the fuel sending unit first.  I'll be under there anyway as I'm finally getting around to changing the rear shocks.
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 07:53:30 PM »
So, after many long months, I have demo'd the rusting flatbed that came with my truck.  While the bed is off the truck, I'm trouble shooting my dead fuel gauge.  There is much rust and corrosion on the fuel sending assemblies on both fuel tanks.  I removed the connectors and checked resistance per Ed's recommendations.  The fuel sender on the rear tank reads 14 ohms.  The fuel sender on the front tank connector is and open circuit(not good)  The connector from the front tank going forward under the cab reads 135 ohms resistance. 
I'm thinking I have a doa sender in the front tank.  Can anybody confirm that this causes the fuel gauge to always read empty?
You'll see in the second photo posted that I have serious rot issues in teh fuel sender on the rear fuel tank.  I have debated removing the rear tank for several reasons.
1  I do most of my welding work right overtop that fuel tank, and that just makes me nervous.
2  The holes in the steel connections coming from the fuel tank make me think I need to replace this sender as well as the front sender
3  I can get by with just 20 gallons of diesel in the truck at one time

My question is, is it easy to remove the rear fuel tank and shut off or bypass the system that circulates the fuel between 2 tanks?

mrhd

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 10:17:06 AM »
I'm having the same problem and can't figure it out!!!!!! Did you ever fix it

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:10 PM »
I thought I'd fixed it, till I ran the truck out of diesel because the fuel gauge reads 1/4 tank high when it's actually empty.  I haven't had time to crawl under the truck with a multimeter and see just what's going on with the new sending units and ground connections. 

Downloaded the list of grounds from thetruckstop website and plan on checking all 14(or is it 18) grounds for good contact.

Truck got a new PMD because I assumed that was the problem when the truck died on me. 

In the meantime, everything runs good and I just make sure to fill the tanks every 200 miles or so.  Just in case.  My welder runs on diesel, so I keep a siphon tube in the truck also.  I've usually got 10 gallons or so of extra fuel there, just in case.

mrhd

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 02:59:01 PM »
Haha yeah I have a can of gas in the back of my truck just. Incase too.... I was wondering if it could have something to do with the dual tank set up Kuznets I removed my rear tank

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM