THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Clicking sound in cab  (Read 3973 times)

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
Clicking sound in cab
« on: November 14, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »
I have a 93' Chevy 3500 with a TBI 454. Have a new very loud clicking sound in the cab when I turn the ignition on and off. It sounds like it's coming from the heater system under the glove box. It's really more annoying then anything else. Everything seems to be working fine, but I've never heard it before with these truck and I'm wondering if anyone here has. It would same me some time from poking around, and these days I'm very very short on time. So any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Being prepared just let's us know how unprepared we really are.

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Clicking sound in cab
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »
Just curious..could it be associated with blower motor ie does the clicking rate increase as the speed is turned up? Maybe something worked it's way to the blower motor..(leaves etc?)

Ed

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:12:51 AM »
No, the clicking is very systematic, and always the same. Like I said it only clicks when ignition is turned on and off. Then something clicks for about 20 sec. and stops. It never clicks during heater operation or at any other time, only when you turn the key on and off. Weird I know. It's almost like somethings being primed before and after ignition, but the click is loud, more like a wack. Annoying as hell.

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:25:11 AM »
Just found this info online;

The clicking noise comes from the fresh air/ inside air mode activator. There is a compact black actuator on the air box just under the bottom of the glove box. You can stop the noise by disconecting the two wire connector going to it, but you won't be able to use the REC recirculation button for inside air. There is likely a missing tooth on one of the gears inside the unit.

I'll investigate and get back.

Raymo

• Global Moderator
  • 3500HD Driver
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
My fiance's 98 does the same exact thing, like the door is sticking when the actuator is powered, and slams. She leaves all sorts of crap on the dash so I figured some candy or something worked its way down and melted.

Maybe some graphite lube if you find that to be the problem? Works good in ignition tumblers.

The tooth missing idea could be likely too, if it were to go so far and catch maybe it could slam. I don't know how loud it is in your's, but her's sounds like it's getting hit with a screw driver.
'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 08:23:38 PM »
My 98 C3500HD does the same thing.  I"m reasonably certain its a fuel pump making the noise.  Nothing related to the dash or blower motor.  How sure are you that the noise is coming from the dash area?
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 01:28:48 AM »
It's definitely not the fuel pump, I know the sound your talking about, and it's way different. It's probably too loud to describe as a click, like Raymo said it sounds like someone's banging a screwdriver under the glove box. I'm certain it's behind the glove box because I took the glove box bucket out to see what was behind it and could feel the vibration of the clicking or whacking on the blower housing. Just need to figure out which connector powers the air mode activator or whatever to stop the noise. I think the info I posted earlier is accurate because I tried turning on the A/C and REC at the same time, then turned them off, and the clicking started again for the first time while the engine was on. I need my A/C recharged badly anyway (which isn't going to happen any time soon) because it blows nice hot air. So if I can't use the A/C  REC for the time being it wont be a major sacrifice. If I can successfully disconnect the correct connector and the problem stops I'll be sure and let you guys know. In the meantime, more annoying clicking.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
This is actually a pretty common problem.  I did a write-up on it a while back, and since have replaced probably a dozen of them on other trucks.

http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/170970

If you'd like to quickly prove whether it's the problem, just reach back there and unplug it.  See if the noise happens next time.  This actuator runs every time you start up, every time you shut off, and whenever you change the status of the recirculate function.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

BluntBear

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2010, 03:22:54 PM »
That link is very helpful, Thanks a million someotherguy. Great!

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM