Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: wikipedia 3500HD entry  (Read 3592 times)
someotherguy
3500HD Hero

« on: December 09, 2010, 07:09:39 PM »

Hey Ed, others -

I made a few small edits to the wiki page on C/K trucks to correct/add some info about 3500HD's.  I didn't write that article and don't want to attempt re-writing it; it's mostly accurate anyhow.  Most importantly though, I added 3500HD.com to the "External links" section at the end of the article. Smiley  Maybe get a few more folks here, since net searches on many topics end up with hits aimed at wikipedia, more chance someone will find the link to 3500HD.com.

Unfortunately, the later trucks also known as 3500HD's screw a regular net search all up, as they're far more prevalent since GM started throwing the name around like it was nothing.  If you do a search for "Chevy 3500HD" on wikipedia itself, the C/K page is the first hit.  Any other variant, like "3500HD" "Chevrolet 3500HD" and "GMC 3500HD" seem to come up with the C/K page as the 5th or 6th hit on the list.

Anyway, here's the specific portion of the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_C/K#3500HD

The existing picture of the brown dump truck isn't much of a representation of HD's!  I wanted to upload a few more example pics but I'm not a confirmed user yet.  Figured I'd upload mine to show the up-level grille treatment (as they were available from factory, just not common), one of Terry's if he doesn't mind, to show the custom-made extended cab version, and finally if I can find a good pic of a crew cab that still has a decent paint job.  No offense to the guys here with the bad paint, that's GM's fault, and I know these are work trucks. Smiley  Brad, I'd use your nice looking truck but I'd have to describe it as a custom-built one with a non-original wheelbase.  Might end up having to use it, with your permission, as you can only upload pics you have permission to use - can't just grab one randomly off the net.

Richard

06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 09:15:49 PM »

Richard

Don't know where you get all of your energy. A while back I also made an entry into wikipedia to correct the statement that Chevy introduced their first V8 in 1955. I pointed out that Chevy’s first V8 was actually introduced in 1917. It was a 90 degree, overhead valve engine. It was produced for only two years.  Provided links and even a video link of a running 1918 Chevrolet with OEM V8 engine etc. 

Apparently someone else decided to remove my work - as it is no longer on their site. As you know Wikipedia should not be used as an official source...anyone can make changes.

Here is a link with pictures of the Chevy 1917 V8 engine:

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/other-transportation/99368-1st-v8-chevrolet-engine-what-year.html

Ed
someotherguy
3500HD Hero

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2010, 09:49:55 PM »

Energy?  I've got none. Wink  I get worn out doing the stuff I'm SUPPOSED to be doing, then the other stuff gets done while I'm being lazy at the computer. Smiley

I thought a long time ago I had added a link to ChevyTalk at the bottom of one article or another on wikipedia, and I thought it was the C/K truck page - perhaps I'm mistaken, or someone removed it.

wikipedia is kind of like a web forum - people that feel they know the facts argue back and forth incessantly; the difference with wiki is that the other people can edit what you wrote to reflect their opinion or version of the story, and 99.9% of the people reading are none the wiser - unless they care to wade through the entire edit history of the page.

I do like wiki though and refer to it often, but always temper the info found with the old rule, "consider the source."

Richard

someotherguy
3500HD Hero

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2010, 09:53:50 PM »

Yep, someone must have removed it...as they have also removed the link to 3500HD.com.  Whatever...

Richard

ED-NY
Administrator
3500HD Hero

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2010, 09:59:49 PM »

10-4..I finished a couple of online college courses a year or so back and was not allowed to use wikipedia as a research source.  To be honest I also still use wikipedia as a source...but do "consider the source" on each occasion.

Wikipedia...not to be confused with wikileaks!

Ed
GM Guy
3500HD Driver

manual transmission 2wd enthusiast

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 08:42:48 PM »

I did do some editing to it in its infancy, it was short and not accurate. I did do some generic editiing to help it along, putting down what I knew as fact, and ignoring stuff I was unsure about, such as if the SM465 was the manual in 91, or if it was auto only until 92, 1st year of the NV4500. and most all of the 4x4 stuff I ignored.

I did see an issue though, it lists the 6.5L not offered until 93, but we do own a 92 with a 6.5L, and it lists the chassis as exiting straight out the back of the cab. I feel the wording on this makes it sound like a heavier truck with flat rails front to back, not really talking about the drop and widening under the cab, similar, (but not the same of course) to the lighter rigs.

and what is a t400 C3500HD?

snd richard, someone deleted your pictures. they were relevant, so I dont know why some folks are so pissy about edits. maybe the guy with the brown 3500hd thinks himself the expert, and should be the only HD on there, as I see it all the time

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 08:48:49 PM by GM Guy » Logged
someotherguy
3500HD Hero

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:43:29 PM »

I have no idea on whether the SM465 was used in '91.  I do know the 6.2 diesel was used in a couple later years (of the entire truck line, not just HD's) but I think it ended in '93, not sure.

The frame rail thing is a little misleading but I think most people know what it means, the industry-standard frame setup for a chassis cab truck, once it kicks up behind the cab, so I wouldn't worry too much.

T400 is someone shortening GMT400, which also is a little misleading.  GMT400 is a somewhat generic term to apply to this whole body style of truck from 1/2 ton up to HD, though each specific model has its own GMT4xx number as assigned by GM, it's really just an internal reference to this family of trucks.  3500HD's are GMT455 for example, while a GMT435 is an Escalade.

I was never able to upload pictures as I'm not a confirmed user or whatever.  I've made a few wiki edits but not many.  I suppose I have to be ennobled before I can upload pics. Wink

Thanks for your work on the page; the more we can add to it that we know is factual, the better.

Richard

merlin5577
Global Moderator
Dually Driver

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 03:05:31 AM »

I have no idea on whether the SM465 was used in '91.  I do know the 6.2 diesel was used in a couple later years (of the entire truck line, not just HD's) but I think it ended in '93, not sure.

Correct. 1993 (6.5L was optional) was the last year of the 6.2L in the civilian model trucks. IIRC the military Hummers had the 6.2L through 1995.

-Robert.
My Trucks;
2003 Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD 4X4 6.6L w/Allison 1000
1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4X4 5.7L w/4L60-E
"If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to:  

LINK SECTION - DON'T SEE DISTRACTING ADVERTISING PASTED ALL OVER THIS FORUM? THAT'S BECAUSE THIS IS A REFERENCE SITE.
THIS IS OUR FREE ADVERTISING AREA... FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (yours included).

DURAMAX SWAP How To Manual
GMT400 FORUM
FIND THE LOWEST FUEL PRICES IN YOUR AREA
COMPNINE Total VIN Decoder
DeCodeThis VIN Decoder
CHEVY 348/409 (W) Engine Forum
Chevy Thunder (Great SBC Fuel Injection Reference Site)
BCC Bin Look Up
Classic Shop Talk
PERFORMANCE DYNAMICS SPEED SHOP (EFI & Misc AN Fittings)
Rickson Wheel Manufacturing
Vintage Chevrolet Club of America
THE RUSTY BOWTIE FORUM
1991-2002 Chevy/GMC 3500HD History - Specifications
STEP VAN PARTS
METAL MEET FORUM
GMT400 VIN DECODING by someotherguy
C/K 3500HD Wikipedia Link
THE TRUCK STOP
THE DIESEL GARAGE
FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION – SPAM INFO SITE
CRAIGSLIST SEARCH TEMPEST