THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Blown heater core  (Read 1655 times)

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Blown heater core
« on: January 15, 2011, 05:16:23 PM »
Found a drip of radiator coolant down in the passenger side footwell, near the door.  I'm guessing it's the heater core that's croaked?  Or are hose leaks more common in these trucks?  Can anybody tell me if it's a big deal to change out a heater core in these trucks?  Can anyone point me to an online posting by someone who's done one before?

Sigh.  One more thing to fix...
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: Blown heater core
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2011, 07:28:38 PM »
Not a terrible job; sometimes it goes easy and sometimes it's a pain.  Depends on what day of the week it is, or phase of the moon, something. :D

That's the only area that coolant enters the cabin, at the heater core.  Be extra sure the hose connections to it aren't loose or otherwise leaking, though usually that will drip down outside the firewall onto the ground, not through it into the cabin.

Circled in yellow are the six screws that hold the lower cover onto the heater/AC box.  In this pic the core has already been removed.

(Here's the shot prior to removal):

The rearmost one and the one under the evaporator core are a little tricky to get to; a long 1/4" extension or doubled-up ones will make it though.  Then be very careful removing the cover as it has a lip on it that locates it to the box; forcing it can crack the cover (or worse, the box itself.)

Once the cover is down, there's just one more screw on a retaining tab that holds the core, easy to get to.  Do note that some new cores come with a new tab as the tank design may be slightly different.

Richard
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 02:29:20 PM by someotherguy »
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

A_DAB_will_do

• One Ton Driver
    • Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Re: Blown heater core
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:26:29 AM »
Thanks Richard, I appreciate the time you took to post photos.  Your shots confirm for me that the replacement part I found on RockAuto is the right one as well.

Something else to add to the list of things to do...although this one gets boosted to near the top of the list with it being winter...
Benson's Mobile Welding & Fabrication
Mobile repair and fabrication serving the Dayton, Cinncinnati, and Columbus, OH metropolitan areas.
www.bensonmobilewelding.com

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM