THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: New to forum/Long awaited build  (Read 5467 times)

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
New to forum/Long awaited build
« on: January 15, 2010, 10:08:50 PM »
Well I'll get started by saying ever since they built em I have loved them(3500HDs) Not biased to any brand but all I have ever owned is GM products all trucks. My recent purchase was last week a 1994 C-3500HD 6.5 diesel 5 spd. for a whopping 400.00 dollars. No she aint pretty but give it time. I have got something to start building from,a good clean chassis, rearend, transmission, the rest I'm scrapping. I have got the cab coverd a 1997 GMC 1500 one of my donor trucks that I'm parting out. I guess the next purchase I will make will be a 98-00 VORTEC 454 engine, the old diesel is exploded not one of my favorite engines anyway (no offense to anybody)..... I'll probally go the the same route as (someotherguy) has done, VERY GOOD JOB by the way. The only difference is I'm building a dump truck out of mine. Does anyone know if I will have to make any fabrication mods to the engine mount towers or will they accept the 454 engine, also is there a particular radiator to use or can I use the old diesel rad if its any good. I'll shut up for now and look forward to chatting with all of u truck smart people.Thanks for the info I have found so far and whatever u guys share n the future. Very glad to have found this place, excellent site!!!!  Will try to start some pics soon.                                             Thank you, 3500HD addict
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
Re: New to forum/Long awaited build
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 10:38:44 PM »
Welcome,

The big block will bolt right in where the 6.5 was, no issues.  However trying to reuse the '94 radiator with a Vortec-era engine, you'll find that the oil cooler lines are the wrong thread, and also your radiator being from a manual trans truck, may not have the fittings for the transmission cooling lines - and if it did, they'll be the wrong size/thread as well, unless it's a replacement radiator that has adapter fittings to size down for the '94 lines - you can then remove the adapters and put the later style lines in.  (Just realized of course you may be sticking with the 5 speed so what I said on the trans cooler won't matter, but the engine oil cooler lines will be an issue.)

Try not to junk any parts until you're absolutely finished, you'll be surprised how many things could have been adapted to work, or traded for the parts you do need.

One thing you may run into using a cab from a 1500 is that now it will register as a 1500; depending on how authorities are in your area you might get into trouble if someone takes notice.  Unlikely, but possible.

Richard
« Last Edit: January 15, 2010, 10:43:10 PM by someotherguy »
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 08:29:08 AM »

Try not to junk any parts until you're absolutely finished, you'll be surprised how many things could have been adapted to work, or traded for
the parts you do need.

One thing you may run into using a cab from a 1500 is that now it will register as a 1500; depending on how authorities are in your area you might get into trouble if someone takes notice.  Unlikely, but possible.

Richard

As Richard mentioned..don't toss any parts, someone here may have something to trade. In my case I'll be installing a tune port small block and will be using dual electric fans behind the radiator, not sure which radiator I'll be using yet. I have all kinds of small block oil lines and adapters.

Don't know about your state, but here in NY I won't have a problem installing a 1500 cab on the 3500HD chassis, the problem is getting it inspected if the cab is 1996 (OBD2) or newer. In NY they plug in OBD2 (96 and newer) vehicles to check for emission codes and the VIN.  For OBD1 vehicles they just look to see if the "check engine light" is off running. I'm still looking for a solid 88-95 donor vehicle.

Ed

j20m715

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 08:46:10 AM »

Why not just change out the vin plates ?
Project: 3500HD, 4x4, Crewcab, Cummins

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 09:02:06 AM »
Switching vin plates especially on older GM trucks is not uncommon around here, I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. That said here is a link discussing the subject:

http://www.highperformancepontiac.com/tech/hppp_0701_pontiac_bodywork_rust_repair/index.html

merlin5577

• Global Moderator
  • Dually Driver
    • Great site for all trucks!
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »
Welcome aboard!
-Robert.
My Trucks;
2003 Chevrolet Silverado K2500HD 4X4 6.6L w/Allison 1000
1997 GMC Suburban K1500 4X4 5.7L w/4L60-E
"If you dont stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them."

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 10:42:33 PM »
Yep switching the VIN's is a real sketchy area to get involved in; it's big trouble just to even be caught with the special rosette rivets they're attached with.  That article does beat it in quite well that it's a federal crime, etc. and while I can't tell you what to do with your truck - I personally wouldn't switch a VIN.

I get people trying to buy "cabs" from me every now and then, and it turns out they just want to buy a title and a clear VIN tag.  I run those people off quickly because I would assume it's one of the following:
1. thief wanting to clean up a stolen truck
2. someone wanting out of a title loan they can't pay back
3. law enforcement!

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

ltlvt

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 01:25:23 AM »
I learned my lesson about 10 years ago when a guy bought a wrecked car from me. 2 years later the State Highway Patrol auto theft called me us to talk to me about the car. Seems the guy that bought it from me took the vin plate off of it and put it on another car and then turned in an insurance claim 2 seperate times. Good thing for me the DPS had documents where the guy had forged my signature and all i had to do was show them my drivers liscense that had my signature on it and they could clearly see it was not my signature. They arreseted the guy for forgery. I'm like Richard I want nothing to do with changing VIN plates. I am even really uncomfortable about using a different frame since they also have the VIN number stamped into them.
Runs like a scalded dog

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 09:41:29 AM »
Here is another VIN related link discussing various scenarios.

http://www.boss302.com/legal.htm

Ed

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:23:49 PM »
Ok guys don't freat I'm not throwing away any parts unless they are not fixable or sellable, they are too valueable to me or somebody else. The idea on switching cabs is still up in the air on what I'm going to use. I also considerd gutting the origional cab and switching parts from 94 to 97. I see the point on different VIN numbers is not legal in some states. I think here in North Carolina u can apply for a Salvage title and build back to factory specs or DOT approved, But I am checking into it to be on the safe side, Don't like playin with government or state laws myself. Any extra parts I have will be posted here if they aren't traded for other stuff I need. I would like to find a set of frame Reinforcement Plates for my build, it is a 160 inch wheelbase. I got a buddy who says he knows where a good running 427 TONAWANDA engine is. I think I still rather have a Vortec 454 engine as I don't know much abought TONAWANDA engines but do know there are several around and have been for a while. I want to keep everything emissions happy also, although here in N.C.they only emission check trucks under 8600 G.V.W. I bet u guys in the big citys get hammerd on emissions tests. well more later, Thanks Guys.     

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 07:14:44 PM »
Personally I have no problem switching cabs, it's common in the hotrod world, ie putting 30's bodies on S10 frames etc. Where you can run into problems is removing and switching VIN plates.

As far as emission testing in my part of NY they only perform plug-in and visual test for emissions readiness on OBD2 vehicles..but get down in NYC they do actual smog testing.  OBD1 vehicles tests are entirely visual for emissions equipment.

As this forum catches on I hope to see more 3500HD (and 3500) parts listed, kinda like an on-line dually salvage yard!  Going to get some forum business cards printed up and will get them out to you folks for shows and other 3500HD owners. ie stick one under a wiper etc.

Ed

Brooklyn Tow

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 07:51:22 PM »
just keep all proof of ownership documents so that you can show that what is there is yours and is not stolen....Of course changing/altered VIN intentionally to decieve, is a crime but for a repair or rebuild in NY there is a 907A inspection for just this.
Louis

1996 Chevy 3500HD, 6.5TD, Dynamic Wrecker, 4.63

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »
Hey guys, back again been very busy working it comes n goes. I have some pics will try to post in a few, I'm NOT changing the cab this one is in very good shape no majior rust at all just very light surface rust n floor pan on both sides. I was scared of it being bad be cause it has been sitting for 6 years coverd and 4 months in the weather with passenger window missing. I found two bee nest in the dash and a rats nest. I have everything to put the interior back to a 97 and think I have found a engine also. I wish I had the extra money to put a Duramax in it, but the Vortec 454 will do. 

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 09:40:46 PM »
just keep all proof of ownership documents so that you can show that what is there is yours and is not stolen....Of course changing/altered VIN intentionally to decieve, is a crime but for a repair or rebuild in NY there is a 907A inspection for just this.

Brooklyn Tow

Thanks for the info (ie Form 907A).  I've seen dummies up here using plain old aluminum pop rivets for VIN plate swapping. Also, when I was on the road years ago stolen Mercedes' from Canada was the big thing. Mercedes at that time used "raised VIN digits", the bad guys would just use the standard depressed stamps, a real easy one to catch.

Ed

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »
Hey guys, back again been very busy working it comes n goes. I have some pics will try to post in a few, I'm NOT changing the cab this one is in very good shape no majior rust at all just very light surface rust n floor pan on both sides. I was scared of it being bad be cause it has been sitting for 6 years coverd and 4 months in the weather with passenger window missing. I found two bee nest in the dash and a rats nest. I have everything to put the interior back to a 97 and think I have found a engine also. I wish I had the extra money to put a Duramax in it, but the Vortec 454 will do. 

Pictures are always nice....as this forum catches on...really  hope to see more 3500HD parts listed. If you do need something...let us know...might have something in the barn.

Ed

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
EAST COAST GEAR SUPPLY
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
TBI CHIPS.COM
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM