THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: new guy from ohio  (Read 5581 times)

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
new guy from ohio
« on: June 20, 2012, 07:47:30 PM »
Hello all newbie from the rust belt. Thankfuly my truck came from the deep south. 454,automatic with 102k on the odo.  Wasn't really looking for a truck this huge but the deal was too good to pass up. Originally was goin to resell,but now I don't think I can. I would like to know if crewcab HDs are rare? (Not rare like bugatti) . I like the flat bed dump too although I got this tank to haul my race car. I posted pics in the gallery

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
Re: new guy from ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
 Welcome aboard, nice workhorse.The crewcabs, u could say they are rare or u could say theyre not. Like all HD's they are different and uniqe. Whats really amazing is most people dont realize the difference between them and the regular one tons. On another note most all 4x4 HD's are rare. Keep searching the site you will find some very usefull information on these trucks.
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 09:51:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum,

Yeah it's tough to call them rare but they're definitely less common than the regular cabs.  Crew cabs didn't hit the scene til later in the years, not sure which year they began coming factory, probably 95 or 96.  A few were made after the fact, as were some extended cabs, which is something the factory never made.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. I look forward to picking your collective brains for some knowledge about these beastly trucks.          Best Regards, Matt.

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 12:30:42 AM »
crew cabs are few and far between,  I have only seen 4 counting mine in person.   they were mostly ordered by citys and abused alot,  if yours is clean I would keep it.. they are a great rig,  more leg room than a newer topkick and they sit low enough to be mistaken for a normal dually..  the brakes  towing are great.. if you are going to use it strickly as a tow pig,  you may want to upgrade to the tow truck calipers they make a difference especially loaded heavy.. 

If you pull the carpet/floormat out I would like to know if your cab is mig welded together like mine was??? or spotwelded like normal trucks.. 

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
 I haven't looked under the carpet, but working under the truck it all appears to be factory. There is a coach builders sticker in the glove box. I will look a little closer at the seams to see if it was mig welded or spot welded.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:23:50 AM »
What would be really interesting to know is what are the 7th and 10th digits in your VIN.  Or if you want to post your VIN minus the unique last 6 digits that would allow us to decode the original configuration of the truck.

Richard

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 11:50:23 AM »
richard here is mine and how it brakes out, mine must be a conversion I would assume monroe???   

Vehicle: P/UP C3500 CAB CHAS 159.9
Year: 1995
Build Date: 1995-01-25

Found 17,395 vehicles matching your year and model in our database.

RPO Description
UL5 RADIO,DELETE UL5)
RADIO,DELETE(EXPORT) UL5)

VC0 VEHICLE LABEL, NOISE CONTROL INFORMATION NOISE CONTROL INFO LABEL(VC0)

VG8 LABEL,NOTICE TO BUYER NOTICE TO BUYER LABEL(VG8)

VK3 LICENSE PLATE,FRONT MOUNTING PACKAGE FRT LIC PLT MTG PKG(VK3)

VXT LABEL INCOMPLETE VEHICLE INCOMPLETE VEH LABEL(VXT)

V73 VEHICLE STATEMENT - US/CANADA US/CANADA VEHICLE STATEMENT(V73)

WHV HANDLING CHARGE - GMTG TO JANESVILLE VEHICLE MODIFICATION CENTER

XTN TIRE FRONT 225/70R19.5/F BL TL RAD TIRE(XTN)

YA7 TEST - EMISSION, CALIFORNIA ASSEMBLY LINE

YD6 SPRING,REAR(BASE EQUIPMENT) RR SPRING(YD6)

YD7 AXLE,FRONT(USED WITH R05)FOR SCHEDULING GVW PLATE FRT AXLE(YD7)

YF5 CALIFORNIA EMISSION CERTIFICATION CALIFORNIA EMIS CERTIFICATION(YF5)

YTN TIRE REAR 225/70R19.5/F BL TL RAD TIRE(YTN)

ZTN TIRE SPARE 225/70R19.5/F BL TL RAD SPARE TIRE(ZTN)

ZW9 BASE BODY OR CHASSIS BASE BODY/CHAS(ZW9)

ZY1 COLOR COMBINATION SOLID SOLID PAINT COMBO(ZY1)

Z88 GMC TRUCK G M C(Z88)

1SA PACKAGE-OPTION 01 (1SA)

1SZ PACKAGE OPTION- (1SZ)

12U EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY (12U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,SILVER METALLIC (12U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,WHITE (12U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,WHITE,UPPER (12U)
EXTERIOR COLOR,PRIMARY,YELLOW WHITE (12U)

6GR COMPONENT FRT LH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (6GR) SUSP(6GR)

64I INTERIOR TRIM,LIGHT BEIGE (64I)

64V TRIM COMBINATION VINYL, LT BEIGE (V) (92) (64V)

7GR COMPONENT FRT RH COMPUTER SEL SUSP (7GR) SUSP(7GR)

A52 SEAT,FRONT BENCH,3-PASSENGER FRT BENCH ST(A52)

B4L LABEL - PRICE REFER GEOGRAPHIC CHART

B71 ORNAMENTATION,EXTERIOR,WHEEL OPENING MOLDING(BLACK) W/H MLDG(B71)

C5B GVW RATING(15000 LBS) 15000 LB GVWR(C5B)

C60 AIR CONDITIONER,FRONT,MANUAL CONTROLS A/C MAN CONT(C60)

DF2 MIRROR,OUTSIDE,WIDE LOAD,FOLD,STAINLESS STEEL, CAMPER STYLE O/S WIDE LOAD "CAMPER" MIR(DF2)

F44 CHASSIS EQUIPMENT,HEAVY DUTY HVY DUTY CHAS(F44)

GK9 AXLE,REAR,4.63 RATIO 4.63R(GK9)

JAN PLANT CODE - JANESVILLE, WI, BOC JANESVILLE,WI ASSEMBLY PLANT(JAN)

JF9 BRAKE SYSTEM,HYDRAULIC POWER 4-WHEEL DISC 4-WHL DISC BRK(JF9)

K60 GENERATOR,100 AMPERE 100 AMP(K60)

L65 ENGINE,6.5L(6.5F),DIESEL,TURBO HIGH OUTPUT 6.5F(L65)

MW3 TRANSMISSION,MANUAL,5 SPEED,NEW VENTURE GEAR,109MM,5.61 1ST,O/D 5-SPD M/TRANS(MW3)

NB2 EMISSION SYSTEM,CALIFORNIA REQUIREMENTS CALIFORNIA EMIS(NB2)

NK7 FUEL TANK,117 LITER(31 GALLON) 31 GAL TK(117 LITER)(NK7)

R6U CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 20

R9S CONTROL - SALES ITEM NO. 93

SLM SALES PROCESSING - STOCK ORDERS

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 12:21:42 PM »
Here is my VIN 1GBKC34J2VJ101986. There is a Centurion coach builders tag in the glove box. I had problems when I got the title in my name. I got a clean title from the last owner,but when transfered to my name the truck was branded salvage/rebuilt and odometer discrepency. I discovered that the title was mis-printed, the vin number was wrong. I found this out when I hooked up my scanner to pull codes and it kept saying the vehicle was a 1997 saturn. I then went back to the DMV,got that corrected but they cannot do anything about the salvage/rebuilt brand because they dont keep records for more than a couple of years. Will this affect the resale value? From what I have seen, the truck does not appear to have been wrecked,or if it was, it was minor. All body gaps and seams are typical GM quality.

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 05:34:00 PM »
I dont know about ohio but out here you can file an apeal on the salvage, did you keep a copy of the title you got from the previous  owner??  it wont make much difference in price but will make it harder to sell, 

try this for the vin.....

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php?vin=1GBKC34J2VJ101986&x=13&y=13

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 06:56:45 PM »
Yeah 7th digit being "4" indicates 2 door regular cab, and the Centurion tag tells the rest of the story - Monroe didn't make it a 4 door; Centurion did.  They're more well known for trucks accessorized-out like a "Southern Comfort", "Travelquest", etc. with lots of junk added like woodgrain interior kits, leather seats, running boards, etc. but also somewhat lesser-known for their 88-98 body style crew cab shortbed half ton conversion trucks.  You can see lots of pics of Centurions over at conversiontrucks.net which is a website for conversion truck enthusiasts.

1GBK at least does indicate they started with an actual 3500HD.  GB = Chevrolet division incomplete truck (chassis cab), K indicates 14000-16000 lb. GVWR.  V is 1997 year model and J is Janesville WI plant which was the sole plant for 3500HD's for most of the model line's life.

All that info and a little more can be found at http://www.someotherplace.com/info/GMT400VINCARD.JPG

Richard

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
Thanks for helping me figure out what I have. I was thankfully spared all of the tacky interior ad ons,just looks like a stock chevy truck.

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
thanks Richard that makes sense, mine had a monroe upfit so I just assumed they did the cab also..

97 HD 4dr ,  can you post some pix of your truck and the frame reinforcement,  just wondering if they are different,  I have a frame reinforcement that runs from the rear of the front leaf spring hanger all the way to the front rear leaf hanger..  and I have never seen another truck with one most are alot shorter..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 01:47:57 PM by Rayjon237 »

97 HD 4dr

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
The reinforcement plate on mine is from the middle of th drivers door and extends to the front of the spring hanger. I will try to post up some pics soon if you want

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 05:29:38 AM »
Thanks  just a pix of the truck would be nice,   I have seen reinforcements that start there,  still wonding why mine is so long..   Wish the city would have let me take all the paperwork they had on it,  all they would do it let me look at it..  and I was more interested in the matainence history at that time not the builder, would have been nice to know who built it and what was specified..as these all seem to be different..   

One other thing,  does yours have a two leaf front or 3 leafs in the front springs ??

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM