THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Hello from the UP  (Read 2104 times)

RotaryRacer

• Single Axle Driver
Hello from the UP
« on: August 27, 2012, 12:05:06 PM »
Well, the fun of HD ownership began on Saturday for me.

We needed a 'new' truck to replace the old 89 GMC 3500 that we broke a few weeks ago...(rusty frame + heavy trailer = broken truck)

I wanted something heavier than a 1 ton but need a short wheelbase and tight turning radius to be able to get a trailer with big boats into some tight spaces.  I think the HD will work nicely.

I picked up a 1995 135.5" wheelbase truck with at TBI 454 and NV4500 manual.  It has a tool box but no bed of any sort.  Which for my purposes will work well.

The truck looks to have lead a hard life.  It doesn't have the frame reinforcments...but it does have some scab plates welded to the frame and various other repairs/additions.  It had the rear hitch plate grafted on from anther truck.

The rear shock mount/cross member was cut at some point.  I can't see any evidence that it ever attached on the other side of the frame.  Odd.

I have cracks in the top flange of the frame right where the forward cross member/fuel tank is located.  Not sure if they were there before I bought it or not.  I do know that that the 400 mile drive home was very brutal on me.  Harshest ride I've ever experienced.  I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it caused some fatigue issues.

The cab and interior came from a non HD truck....so, it has regular door handles and no cab lights.

I have some questions and will need some help with things.  I'll post those in the tech help area.

Here a couple pics:

1995 C3500HD  -  135.5" WB - TBI 454; NV4500
1998 C2500HD (8600 GVWR) - 155.5" WB - Vortec 5.7; 4L80E
1999 K2500  Suburban - Vortec 7.4; 4L80E

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
Re: Hello from the UP
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
nice truck,  they ride hard with no weight on the back,  from what i have seen alot of the short wheel base trucks didn't have frame reinforcements,  hunt arround you may be able to find another hd that is clapped out for parts,  there are several different setups when it comes to springs on HD's some have light leafs with big overloads,  also some have 3 leaf packs in the front and some 2 leafs,  if you have 2 leaf packs they may be flat if the truck was used alot..  new springs are about 160 a side for the 2 leafs in the front.  good luck read a little they are great trucks just may have to do some work it make it what you want...

RotaryRacer

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 04:43:15 PM »
Thanks for the info.

I was told that this has all new leafs.  While they don't look shiny and new, I don't have any reason to doubt it.

I didn't count them yet.  I wasn't really complaining about the ride and don't really intend to do anything about it...just trying to figure out why my frame is cracked.

Once I get the frame welded and reinforced about all I plan to do is get the hitch set up like I need it, then maybe make a real simple bed and get some fenders/mudflaps.
1995 C3500HD  -  135.5" WB - TBI 454; NV4500
1998 C2500HD (8600 GVWR) - 155.5" WB - Vortec 5.7; 4L80E
1999 K2500  Suburban - Vortec 7.4; 4L80E

Raymo

• Global Moderator
  • 3500HD Driver
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »
Welcome! And the truck looks great. I drive mine everyday, and can tell you a quality shock helps.
'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM