THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: B/W Transfer Case with parking brake  (Read 4318 times)

Fastbowmanfarm

• Single Axle Driver
B/W Transfer Case with parking brake
« on: July 31, 2013, 01:20:43 PM »
Hey guys I'm new to 3500HD.com and want to say thank you for having a place we can share and learn about 3500HD.

I am in the process of building a 4X4 3500HD with my 97 and I have already installed a 4L80E and Borg Warner transfercase, in fact the truck is just about ready to roll.  My concern now is parking/E brake.  Here is a couple of ideas that I have had and I would love feedback to point me in the right direction...

1. Use a line lock for a parking brake and just pray I never need an emergency brake.
2. Replace the fixed yoke on the back of the transfer case with a fixed flange and buy the disk brake kit you find on the off-road sites (but I would still have to fab a bracket to hold the caliper and these kits probably wont hold/stop like the factory parking brake)
3.  Figure out how the conversion companies installed the factory parking on the back of the transfer case similiar to the pictures of the Penman coversion pictures i have seen on here.

I am hoping that y'all could help me out with option#3 in which I beleive would be the best route to go.  Thanks for all your help...let me know if y'all want to see any pictures, someone may have already done this but I went and lifted the truck on up and installed adapters so I can run 22.5 with super singles.

KODIAK

• 3500HD Hero
Re: B/W Transfer Case with parking brake
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »
Welcome aboard I would like to see your HD post some pics on here  :)

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 10:32:26 AM »
Welcome to the board,

Option #3 or the not-yet-mentioned option #4 - Mico Brakelock.

Richard
06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

KODIAK

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:39 PM »
 8)That's nice do you no how much they sell for

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 10:55:54 AM »
The Lever Lock (pictured) is probably their simplest device; you apply brake pressure via the regular pedal then lock it in using the lever control.  There's a guy blowing them out on eBay for $225 buy-it-now and seems to have 16 of them available.  Keep in mind this is a single line setup, you can lock either the front or rear brakes with it.  I suppose it would be simple to install a pair and at that price it would be pretty cost effective vs. their dual units.  Mico has considerably more expensive units that are $1800~$2000 depending on what you want to do.  They also have a pressure switch that will sound the horn if the setup loses pressure, so you have warning that it's getting ready to let go...

Richard

KODIAK

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 12:08:40 PM »
Cool & thanks for the info

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 01:55:23 PM »
Yeah it's worth noting that they may not be acceptable as a direct replacement for a mechanical parking brake because if you suffer a hydraulic failure at the end you have locked, say the flex hose at the axle blows, a caliper seal gives, or a rusty hard line finally pops - then obviously it's gonna let go.

Richard

outkast kustoms

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:14:45 PM »
these r awesome and have done winch outs where my front wheels r off the ground and they hold great HOWEVER the WILL bleed off over time so keep that in mind when parkin over night!!!

Fastbowmanfarm

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2013, 01:03:13 PM »
Hey guys I posted some pictures of the truck in the "Member's Projects" area.  Thank you Richard for letting me know about the Mico Lever Lock.  I think will go with the Cable lock they offer and use my factory parking brake pedal to actuate it.

someotherguy

• 3500HD Hero
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2013, 05:45:00 PM »
A little pricey but a nice choice, and I looked over the pics - crazy project!  Thanks for posting it and be sure to keep us updated.

Richard

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM