www.3500HD.com
  • December 14, 2017, 09:48:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Author Topic: Truck cuts out after a few minutes and won't start again. Please help  (Read 1970 times)

coltbodi

• Single Axle Driver
    • J & W Metal Buildings

I just got a 2002 3500hd with the 6.5. The guy I got it from just ha the fuel pump and filter replaced. I drive it home, an hour drive, it did fine. Then I was using it around the farm and it just died, like it ran out of fuel. But it has a full tank. Then it wouldn't start again. I came back an hour later and it started. It also takes a bit to start it. I'm pretty sure I've narrowed it down to the fuel pressure sensor, because if I start it and turn it off then the key to on the fuel pump runs a long time, it should just rub for a second if I just killed it right? Problem is I don't know where the fuel pressure sensor is.

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
Re: Truck cuts out after a few minutes and won't start again. Please help
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »

Hey pal , could be the PDM box in the intake if it's never been taken out.they can cause some odd problems of running and starting..Mabey someone else can give more insight on this for you.
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

coltbodi

• Single Axle Driver
    • J & W Metal Buildings
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 07:08:57 AM »

Had to google what that was, but from what I read online it sounds like that is it. I read all these things talking about relocating it with a cooler. But why couldn't I just relocate it to inside the cab where it will always be Cool and will be easier to change, since apperently these things all go bad eventually.

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »

The truck I recently bought has it mounted on the bracket that holds the ECM beside the brake booster, abs module. 6.5 diesels don't have one under the hood so it's a good place to mount them. The only problem is they are expensive! I'm not a big fan of the 6.5 but if it runs good drive it.
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

GM Guy

• 3500HD Driver
  • manual transmission 2wd enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »

put the PMD in the bumper.

once the PMD is cooked, it is ruined, and you have to buy another.

I recommend starting from scratch with an all new setup from Leroydiesel.com and putting it in the bumper.

that said, I am not for sure your issue is the PMD. what "fuel pump" got replaced? the lift pump, or the injection pump?

any codes? (CEL on)

can you verify the LP is actually pumping? (open the water drain "t-valve" and see if fuel comes out)

also, what you describe is normal, the Lift pump is controlled by the OPS, so as long there is Oil Pressure, the lift pump runs, so the LP staying on for a few seconds after shutdown is perfectly normal.

for more help with the 6.5L diesel, I recommend www.thetruckstop.us they are a friendly site, we share members, anyone with an HD gets sent here, and anyone with a 6.5 gets sent there, and hopefully one with a HD with the 6.5L stays with both sites! :)