THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: Hello and thanks!  (Read 1979 times)

MattyD87

• Single Axle Driver
Hello and thanks!
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:23:00 PM »
Hello all and thank you for posting up so much great information!

Let's get the boring stuff out of the way...  I'm 26, have always been a gear head but grew up a GM guy (default from pops) and have always been a truck guy (no matter the make).  I'm currently working for Parker Hannifin in New Britain which is my 8-5 and working on my private business nights and weekends.  I grew up in Central Suburbia, CT (Southington, CT) and went to Boston for a few years during college.  After meeting my better half there, we moved to Plainville and have been enjoying as much as life has to give.  After selling all the running pickups I had, I purchased a FWD hatchback (talk about a change in scenery).  I use my Mazda as my daily driver and weekend autocross car.  Since the Mazda was the only vehicle running I had been searching for a used truck for some time and then I ran across the 3500HD I just bought...

Even though the utility body and interior aren't the nicest as some you guys have, I fell in lust after 1 drive.  So I went ahead (after some research here and other forums) to purchase the '97 C3500HD you see below.  So since I'm a freshman to the C3500HD series, big boy trucks in general and diesels I feel like this should be an interesting learning phase!  Eitherway, thanks for the great info you've all contributed and will continue to..  I'll be using and hopefully adding to it myself in the near future!  For now I'll leave you with some first pass pics of the truck. 

It needs a bunch of work and I know that, but it'll do for now.  Things I know right now: PMD intake relocation kit (soon to be re-relocated to the grill), new long block, rebuilt synchros and new clutch 25K miles ago, newer rear tires (<10k miles) body chassis have 183,xxx miles, interior is dirty and needs some work, oil cooler lines are leaking, ABS light is on (unknown condition), utility body is fiberglass but needs paint, patch re-fiberglassing and general TLC, 9ft straight Myers 3-spring plow with custom bumper (FOR SALE!!), original chrome front bumper, 4 spare rear wheels & tires.

I'm picking it up tomorrow too so more pics and info will follow!
-Cheers

'84 C10, reg cab, 8ft (currently in pieces)
'99 S10, reg cab, 6ft (SOLD)
'05 Sierra 1500, ext cab, 6ft (SOLD)
'06 Mazda 3s Hatchback (daily/autocross)
'97 GMC C3500HD, 6.5L, PMD-intake, 10' utility body, more to come

ED-NY

• Administrator
  • 3500HD Hero
Re: Hello and thanks!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 07:11:53 AM »
MattyD87

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a great project.  Thanks for signing up!

Ed

MattyD87

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Hello and thanks!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 06:43:56 PM »
Ed,

Thanks for the welcome.

Small update: I got the truck home yesterday evening but it wasn't a fun ride off of Long Island...

1st I learned quickly that the truck needed more work than I anticipated. The brakes started having problems mid-trip. ABS light came on, the pedal lost most of the pressure and would pull to one side during.

2nd The truck had no power an would belch black under hard throttle and up hills. I failed to do my diligence with the turbo... I pulled the intake off the inlet side and the bearing is toast.

I knew the truck was going to need some cleaning, TLC and oil cooler lines; but I did not need to get this involved.

I might go ahead and go through a diagnostic for the brakes and buy a used turbo but I'm wicked frustrated right now... Anyone in the market for a 3500HD that needs some work that I can do but am frustrated with?!  haha

MattyD
-Cheers

'84 C10, reg cab, 8ft (currently in pieces)
'99 S10, reg cab, 6ft (SOLD)
'05 Sierra 1500, ext cab, 6ft (SOLD)
'06 Mazda 3s Hatchback (daily/autocross)
'97 GMC C3500HD, 6.5L, PMD-intake, 10' utility body, more to come

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
3500HD King Pin Replacement
4BT and Diesel Swaps
King Pin Tech Tip pdf
JEEP ENGINE GUIDE pdf MOPAR
KING PIN THREAD
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM