www.3500HD.com
  • December 14, 2017, 09:45:35 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Author Topic: Increasing performance  (Read 1976 times)

sosmanohio

• Single Axle Driver
Increasing performance
« on: December 29, 2013, 08:17:40 PM »

Hi

I have 2 HD's. One is a 97 gmc with the 6.5 td and the other is a 2000 Chevy with the 454. What suggestions do you guys have to increase power and torque?  I haul and pull a lot with both trucks and would like to do whatever I can to get the most out of them. Both are stock trucks nothing has been done to them yet. The 454 has 136000 miles and the 6.5 has 101000 if that matters any. Both are extended wheel base with 14' flatbeds. Just rebuilt the tranny in the diesel this past summer. They are also both regular cabs. Thanks for any input!

TylerB 69

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Increasing performance
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »

Well I cant tell you much about the gas. But for the diesel there's a few things that will really help with towing. I would start with gauges first. Its a necessary when adding performance. Egt, boost, trans temp, and possibly fuel pressure. Then start with your basics- Intake, exhaust, Crossover Pipe, And Tune. alligator performance is a good site to get everything but the tune. For the tune I would go to Heath Diesel if your truck is 96 or newer. 94-95 I would get a Buddy Tune off eBay. Hope this helps.   
1996 K3500 6.5l, HX40, Heath Tow Tune, 4 Inch Exhaust, Water To Air Intercooler, Snow Performance Water Injection, Heath Water Pump, Fan, and Clutch. Mag Hipertech deep transmission pan

MrC.

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Increasing performance
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »

For gas there are a few cheap things and a alot of expensive things:
Cheap.
underwrite pulleys will free up a noticeable amount of hp
a fuel pressure regulator will raise fuel pressure and add hp
a chip and thermostat will gain a few more
an open or cold air intake will also help
b&m make an electronic shift improver that will tight up the shift and hold each gear longer.
a cam and lifters swap
aftermarket FAST throttle body
throttle body spacer

Expensive
tpi set up
supercharger
twin turbo

How much horse power can you afford? That always seems to be the question.
I have done all of these except the tpi and turbo set up to past trucks with good resulting.