THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!

Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest.

By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!

You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!

When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW, 4 Wheel Disc Brakes etc

We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

Author Topic: 95 3500HD Cummins repower  (Read 7281 times)

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
95 3500HD Cummins repower
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:40:23 PM »
So I thought I'd start a build thread here to document my progress on this project as I go, and since this is such a popular swap, maybe it'll help someone down the road.

I originally bought this 454/4L80E HD back in 2009 with a blown transmission for $900.  I sectioned the bed, painted everything, had the trans rebuilt, went through it top to bottom and bought an 8' Boss XT blade and a 10' Monroe salter.  I made a ton of money with it for 2 years then sold it to the guy I subbed for.  3 years later, he's downsizing and I want a project, so I'm buying it back, without the salter, for cheap.  It needs a TON of work, but is still 100% functional.  I just can't justify the horrible mileage and I want something fun.

A couple weeks ago, after a lot of searching, I bought this 94 F700 with a 5.9 Cummins and Fuller FS5106A 6 speed.  The clutch is shot but it runs great, and I snagged it cheap.

Today I pulled the 20' box so I can deliver it tomorrow to the buyer.  Here's a few shots from that process...took a little ingenuity but I got it done.

Over the next couple days I'll be pulling the engine, trans, any parts I need and anything worth any money.  Then I'll torch the chassis in half and haul it to the scrapyard so I can recoup my money and keep my wife happy!

More to come as I get things done.  This will take me a few weeks, but I'll take lots of pictures.
Rob
95 C3500HD Plow Rig 6BT/Fuller 6M

Raymo

• Global Moderator
  • 3500HD Driver
Re: 95 3500HD Cummins repower
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »
Another white michigan cummins HD! I love it, and I'm extremely jealous of the 6-speed.
'94 3500-HD, Cummins, Getrag, NP205. Shortend rear frame with a Pickup Bed. Dana 60 front, stock 80 rear.

'03 2500-HD 8.1 and Allison

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:26:47 PM »
Made some good progress today.

Got the box delivered and successfully unloaded, then tackled the truck.  It all came out pretty painlessly, except for the fact that everything is so damn heavy!  Once I unbolted the core support/rad/intercooler/condenser assembly, I stood on the motor side of the frame rails and couldn't lift it at all, and I'm a pretty strong guy.  Ended up having to unbolt it and remove piece by piece. 

Holy intercooler.

I ended up getting everything undone except the shifter, misc. transmission harnesses, motor mounts and fuel lines.  Should be easy to finish tomorrow.

Here's where I ended.

At the end of the day I decided to officially end this truck's life and cut her in half.  It'll be easier to jockey around with the skid steer without a 30' frame and 2000# rear end attached.
Rob

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
Another white michigan cummins HD! I love it, and I'm extremely jealous of the 6-speed.

I just wish the trans was an overdrive unit.  I could swap out a few parts and turn it into one, but even with a .78 6th (vs. 1.00), the Cummins will be screaming on the highway.  I'll get better results by re-gearing the Dana 80, just wish gear sets weren't so spendy, this is a budget project!
Rob

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 09:03:20 PM »
Man that looks like(( blood ))on the ground i am guessing if it was you wouldnt be showing us the pictures ,looks like you are moving wright along.

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 09:32:51 PM »
Man that looks like(( blood ))on the ground i am guessing if it was you wouldnt be showing us the pictures ,looks like you are moving wright along.

Haha, never even noticed that in the picture !  The ford used ATF in the parking brake circuit; 1/2" lines that feed some massive external wheel cylinder things....that puddle is where I cut the line before torching.
Rob

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 10:56:21 PM »
you can gear the dana 80 down to 3.31,  I did 3.54 with a nv4500,  you will need a carrier and a set of gears.  if you get a used set,  mark the pattern before you pull it apart,

If you were  closer i would give you a carrier..and some used 3.73's.   good luck,  you will like the swap..

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 05:39:36 PM »
Today was another good day.  Got the rear wheels pulled and loaded the rear frame and some misc. parts onto the trailer for a trip to the scrapyard tomorrow.  Then I disconnected the last few items on the motor and trans and yanked it.  

Access to heavy equipment comes in handy when pulling ~1500 pounds of motor and transmission:

My old ass is tired now, so time to clean up and relax for the rest of the day.  While it's warm tomorrow I'll be scrapping half the truck, taking the motor/trans to my house and degreasing it, and pulling the last few items off the truck that I might need like throttle and clutch linkages, pedal assembly, motor mounts and fuel tank mounts.  I'm planning on using the 35 gallon side saddle tank from the ford on the HD and just mounting it on the driver side behind the cab.

A shot of the motor.  This thing is huge.
Rob

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:42 PM »
Hey rayjon check ur pm.
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 08:26:19 AM »
Trying to keep up my momentum... 

Scrapped the rear half of the chassis and pulled the last few parts I need off the rest of the truck. 

Then I loaded up everything in my dad's pickup for the trip to my house...  That was a hell of a load.  Got the motor and trans split and power washed everything.  Turns out, the cummins is grey...  20 years of grease was hiding it.  It came out pretty darn clean.

My sisters boyfriend is a diesel mechanic and has convinced me to lash the valves and replace the main bearings while the motor is out, since I'll be re-sealing the valve covers and oil pan anyway.  I might do a rear main seal and timing cover seals too.  Bearings and seals are dirt cheap so why not...I never want to have to pull this thing again!  Even with the trans off I could barely move it on the engine crane from the truck into the garage. 

All these parts take up half my garage!

Then I took the last of the truck to the scrapyard Tuesday, so it officially took 10 days to go from a running and driving 20' moving van to a collection of useable parts in my garage.

Ciao.
Rob

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
If you take the timing cover off you will want to do the killer dowel pin fix just to be safe there is a lot of info on it on the web.

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2014, 06:09:47 PM »
So I ran out of time to update this thread much.  Here is a link to complete build thread on the Volkswagen forum I frequent:

http://michiganvw.org/forum/showthread.php?80729-Cumming-project

As of right now the truck is running and driving.  I'll be picking it up from the rear end shop tomorrow with a fresh set of 3.31's, then just have a few odds and ends to take care of before it goes into full time service as a plow/salt truck in the winter and a landscape installation rig in the summer.

It was hundreds of hours worth of work to do the Cummins/manual swap at the same time I was rebuilding the rest of the rig, but driving it makes it all worth it...this swap makes the 3500HD what it always should have been!
Rob

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2014, 10:41:38 PM »
Repacs, so how did u configure the clutch pedal to clutch lever pull on the trans setup? Glad to hear it's prowling around. I'm right in the middle of my engine build as of now, hopefully if I can get some good weather I can start tearing down the HD soon
I wound up getting all the clutch pull parts,cable brackets, cable itself , split some cowling off the lower firewall of a donor cab to mount the cable to, it will be some spotwelding going on here. And re hang the kodiak clutch pedal in my cab think it will have two extra bolts to drill in but should go easy.
If I would have left well enough alone on the engine I would already well on my way of having my swap done. But now I'm into the head,p-pump injectors, delivery valves,turbo, and considering a Hamilton 188/220 camshaft lol. Thanks, Addict..
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 05:32:54 PM »
I used all the old linkage from the F700.  I welded a tab onto a clutch pedal from a C1500 that bolted right in to the HD, then just had to lengthen the clutch rod that goes through the floor and then consequently had to lengthen the arm on the horizontal shaft to keep the right pedal feel and range of motion.  I welded a 1/4" plate onto the frame to mount the horizontal shaft and the pull shaft that runs to the arm on the Fuller lined right up.  Everything works perfectly and pedal feel is pretty good.  Still have to play with adjustment just to get pedal free play dialed in. 

Here's some shots showing what I did

Rob

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 07:04:14 PM »
Finished up some more details this weekend and got the plow mounted up today

Rob

LINK SECTION - FEEL FREE TO SUGGEST ANY LINKS (YOURS INCLUDED).

DIESEL HUB
DIESEL PLACE
JEEP WRANGLER WIRING DIAGRAMS
MILLER TIG Welding Calculator
VINTAGE CHEVY/GM FORUM