www.3500HD.com
  • December 14, 2017, 09:45:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the 3500HD.com forum created October 2009

THIS IS THE PLACE TO LIST AND SELL YOUR TRUCKS AND PARTS FREE!
Home of all dually trucks with the GMC/Chevy 3500HD series truck a point of interest
By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please register for an account above!
You can appreciate the “beef” of the GMC/Chevy 3500HD trucks, a stripped rolling 3500HD chassis weighs more than a running C1500!
When posting on this site you won't have to explain what the 3500HD Beast is! ie 19.5 wheels, straight axle, 10 bolt wheels, 15000lbs GVW etc
 We are based in the U.S. If you are not from the U.S. or Canada (all IP addresses checked) you will be rejected. If you are a legit overseas applicant, contact me via email: borderdrop@yahoo.com
WILL BE UNDER CONSTRUCTION  & TRYING OUT A FEW DIFFERENT LOOKS - December 2017!!!!!!!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cummins conversion/ fuller 6spd  (Read 5269 times)

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
Cummins conversion/ fuller 6spd
« on: August 10, 2014, 10:37:00 PM »

Hey all, Ok I'm working on my 98HD cummins conversion, got the donor truck with a low mileage 5.9 and have a really good idea what all has to be done engine wise to do the swap
I want to use a Fuller FSO6406A transmission. I have read some other fourm on this and can't get a real insight on what needs to be done. I know I need a SAE#2 flywheel housing,14 inch flywheel and clutch. Clutch actuation is be comeing the problem I think.. Has any body done this
type of swap on anything in ur projects.

Making the clutch work is the problem I know it can be done I'm open for suggestions..
Rayjon, SSOR, or any body have any suggestions on what to do
Life is what happens while your busy makeing other plans.
1998 C3500HD getting a 5.9 Cummins in process

SSOR

• Single Axle Driver
Re: Cummins conversion/ fuller 6spd
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 11:12:07 PM »

Use this fella.

SSOR

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 11:16:32 PM »

I'll find out what the application is tomorrow.

SSOR

• Single Axle Driver
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 12:41:01 AM »

Mine came from a 2006 Freightliner M2 106.

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 07:07:47 AM »

Thats the same Trans i had in my Kodiak it was pulled by a cable if you look at my 99 cummins build you will see what i had to do to install the cable. or you might be able to use the south bend hydraulics if you can get enough travel to release the clutch.

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 07:34:01 PM »

If I go cable pull clutch would it be best to find a Topkick or Kodiak truck with the clutch and brake pedal assembly?
As far as fabricating goes that won't be a issue, it just I'd rather find all the interchangeable parts that I can.

fabman72

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:10 PM »

yes you would need the clutch pedal and bracket,you would be better off keeping your own brake pedal.Iif you have an automatic pedal you can just trim off the left side and make it a manual pedal. thats what i did on my new truck

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 11:00:07 PM »

Ok mine is already 5spd. Just leave the brake pedal. I plan on pulling the whole front end of my 98 off, may even pull whole cab too while I'm into it. I plan on new lines, wiring,re painting frame and cab anyways. If I'm going this far may as well do it all while it's down. When I get done I want a NEW Old truck lol.

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 08:00:34 PM »

This is the same setup I'm swapping in right now.  My FS5106 was a linkage actuated clutch in the F700 it came in.  I saved all the linkage including the Ford pedal, but for simplicity's sake Im looking for a clutch pedal assembly and cable out of a Kodiak/TopKick.  

What you'll find just as difficult is the rear engine mounts.  SAE #2 Bellhousing setups use a 2-bolt double isolator setup on a front engine crossmember and then a mount on each side of the bellhousing right to the framerail- there is no transmission crossmember or mount whatsoever...the tranny just hangs off the engine.  What you'll find is that at the point where the bellhousing mounts meet the frame the HD frame is on it's drop under the cab and widening out, so you'll be fabbing custom perches to meet a double angle.  I just went through this, ended up buying universal biscuit style mounts so I can weld custom perches in place.

You'll also run into the fact that the bellhousing is huge and will force you to add some significant driveline angle in order to clear the firewall.  I can tell you, however, that this is fine...the F700 I parted out for this setup had the same angle.

Not sure what you're planning on for a parking brake, either.  Some of these Fullers had a tailshaft brake, but mine doesn't....I may just go the route of a line lock style actuator for when the truck is running and just leave it in gear otherwise.  My Fuller does have a VSS on the tailshaft, but I have no idea if it's signal will be anything that the Chevy ECM will interpret for a speedo....we'll see

I'm working on this as I get time right now, so as I run into and solve problems I'll let you know.  

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 08:03:00 PM by repacs0103 »
Rob
95 C3500HD Plow Rig 6BT/Fuller 6M

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

I'm still searching what would be the best FS or FSO xx06 to use as far as compatibility goes. I'm sure the right parts is out there just finding or modifying them is the mystery. 

On the adaptor plate mounts I've been pondering on that too, I see what u mean on the frame bend under the cab where it will work out. Custom work is a must here. I've got a local guy that has several medium trucks I can get the perches from and then make something to fit in with the frame.

On the Kodiak clutch pedal I'm calling a place with three of these trucks tomorrow, hopefully one of them has this.

As far as parking brake goes my rig already had the hydraulic  line lock installed on it and it works very well as long as it's running....
 On the driveline angle I'm curious to how far we could drop the engine down in the frame to avoid this? I know it would involve cutting the factory crossmember out and reworking it but just how much could be gained?

Does anybody know if all 6bt SAE adaptor plates are the same configuration? Reason I ask I can get one for free but it had a automatic behind it and it is full round.
Thanks for your imput on this!! Soon as I find out anything usefull I will post it.

Rayjon237

• Dually Driver
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 01:15:36 AM »

take a look here, the one that is preferred is the adapter off a mid 90's f700 ford

http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/98-5-02-powertrain/41978-nv5600-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.html

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:09:27 PM »

I'm still searching what would be the best FS or FSO xx06 to use as far as compatibility goes. I'm sure the right parts is out there just finding or modifying them is the mystery.  

On the adaptor plate mounts I've been pondering on that too, I see what u mean on the frame bend under the cab where it will work out. Custom work is a must here. I've got a local guy that has several medium trucks I can get the perches from and then make something to fit in with the frame.

On the Kodiak clutch pedal I'm calling a place with three of these trucks tomorrow, hopefully one of them has this.

As far as parking brake goes my rig already had the hydraulic  line lock installed on it and it works very well as long as it's running....
 On the driveline angle I'm curious to how far we could drop the engine down in the frame to avoid this? I know it would involve cutting the factory crossmember out and reworking it but just how much could be gained?

Does anybody know if all 6bt SAE adaptor plates are the same configuration? Reason I ask I can get one for free but it had a automatic behind it and it is full round.
Thanks for your imput on this!! Soon as I find out anything usefull I will post it.

All the FS/FSO transmissions will bolt up to the SAE#2, the question is only what you want in terms of gear ratios.  

As for the front mount, I just completely cut out the HD crossmember and am making my own to accept the standard 2 bolt mount.  It'll be tied in with the core support crossmember and also forces me to relocate/reinforce the panhard bar mount, but that sat too high to clear the Cummins oil pan anyway.  I have the front of the motor down as low as I can get it...I only have about 1/4" clearance from the bottom of the oil pan to the steering rod off the pitman arm.  I've just resigned myself to the driveline angle, but I will actually end up with less than the F700 had and it's a small price to pay to gain a bulletproof 6 speed manual.

My oil pan could be the issue, however...I assume it's larger than the Dodge pans (mine is a 17 qt.)  Originally it was a front sump which never would have worked but I was able to source a rear sump pickup tube for free so all it cost me was a gasket since the pans are reversible.

If you have any luck on the Kodiak pedal set ups let me know...I'm hoping to find a local one in salvage, but that's a needle in a haystack type deal.

I'll snap some pictures if I get a chance this weekend of what I've done so far.  My rear motor mount biscuits should show up Thursday so I might bring a skid steer home to manhandle the motor around and get the rear mounts tacked in.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:16:20 PM by repacs0103 »
Rob

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 08:47:47 PM »

Repac, so are u saying that ur still having bottom clearance issues even after reversing the oil pan?

On the gearing I'm leaning toward the FS xx06 to compensate the 355 gear I'm taking from the 96 3500 dodge I bought for the donor truck. I have a local guy that's very good at setting up all types of rearends. I plan on using the truck as mostly for tow, my mini ex plus all of the attachments I have and trailer, combined weight around 12,000-13,000 lbs. my truck now has 5.13 gears and don't really want that.

On the engine I'm planning to check everything internally and new seals n gaskets. If it's within tolerance I'm not messing with it except the top end. I'm going to set it up to be around 300 - 330 hp. (If it were my dream truck 96-00 crew cab HD dually silverado LS interior then I would say 500-600hp would be instore) but that's just a dream..

Anyways I've played phone tag today with the kodiaks. If they have two of the pedals and cheap enough I will let u know.

repacs0103

• One Ton Driver
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:02 PM »

Yes-  even with the oil pan reversed, the top of the SAE #2 bellhousing within 1/8" of the doghouse/tunnel, and the steering rod 1/4" below the oil pan at the forward end of the motor, I still have a decent amount of driveline angle. 

Any luck on the Kodiak clutch setup?  I crawled underneath the 03 C8500 I have at work and sure enough it has exactly what I need...  a cable pull clutch actuating a Fuller FS 6 speed.  If you need any pics or info I can get you some.  I'm still on the hunt....haven't found anything local or on  the internet as of yet.
Rob

3500HD addict

• Dually Driver
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:42 PM »

Repac, on the kodiaks I haven't talked with the guy yet. Played phone tag then I got swamped with my work. I'm taking off Friday I will find out for sure then.

Caught a very good deal over the weekend on a brand new Holset HX40W turbo at a very good price! Not one of them Chinaman brands either. That should work perfect with the setup I'm doing and it's already matched for a 330hp engine. I did get a big aftermarket intercooler to mabey make things easier to plumb in on the front end.
I'm still gathering the big dollar parts before I start tearing down the HD, but it's getting closer..
Pages: [1] 2